This is an update about cleaning up the GNOME stack for GNOME 3. This has also been posted to the desktop-devel mailing list.
Maintainers: I have listed available PATCHES AWAITING REVIEW.
Please take a look if your module is listed and review/commit NOW so the changes can receive enough testing for 2.28.
THE PROBLEMS: What migration paths are missing?
- libgnomeui provides retrieving thumbnails of files. There is no substitute yet. This blocks deskbar-applet, gnome-mag, evolution and probably many others.
Currently EggSMClient gets copied into all apps. That’s not cool but the way to go until Session Management support in gtk+ gets resolved.
See Thomas’ blog for a current list.
This list is of course not complete. Also see LibgnomeMustDie.
Feel encouraged to add your issues.
ZERO modules with Glib-Deprecated-Symbols
NOT COMPLETED (“Reopened”) now that we also check external deps and the Mobile set:
- Still to do: gconf-dbus, evolution-data-server-dbus.
- External deps to do: dbus-glib, hal, libnotify, mono. PATCHES available: dbus-glib, libnotify. FIXED: farsight2, libnice, poppler.
Officially ANNOUNCE libglade as deprecated in favor of GtkBuilder
Less than 35 modules depending on libglade.
- low: 25
- average: 5 (dasher, gnome-media, gnome-panel, gok, zenity)
- complex: 2 (gnome-control-center, evolution)
- PATCHES awaiting review/commit: gnome-control-center, gdm, gnome-nettool, gnome-mag, gnome-media, gnome-menus, gnome-panel, gnome-session, gnome-system-tools, gtkhtml, sound-juicer, zenity, tracker. Maintainers please review/commit.
Clear a11y plan and schedule for 3.0
Less than 12 modules depending on libgnome
NOT COMPLETED (Progress compared to 2.27.1: 22->15).
- low: 10
- average: 4 (Evolution, gnome-media, yelp, anjuta)
- complex: 1 (gok)
Less than 12 modules depending on libgnomeui
NOT COMPLETED (Progress compared to 2.27.1: 15->12).
- low: 9
- average: 2 (Evolution-Exchange, gnome-panel)
- complex: 1 (Evolution)
ZERO modules dependening on gnome-vfs
NOT COMPLETED (Reopened):
- average: 1 (gst-plugins-base)
- low: 8
- average: 7 (gnome-control-center, evolution, gedit, metacity, glade3, gconf-dbus)
- complex: 2 (gnome-games, gnome-media)
- PATCHES awaiting review/commit: gnome-control-center, gedit, metacity, yelp, glade3, policykit-gnome
Evolution-Data-Server must be migrated to D-Bus by default
NOT COMPLETED. Evolution schedule currently under discussion.
A Git branch is available.
WebKit status report for 2.27.5
IN PROGRESS. WebKitGTK+ has been proposed as an external dependency.
See d-d-l for the status.
Evolution to get rid of Bonobo by 2.27.3
Complete migration from HAL to DeviceKit-* by 2.27.3
According to “jhbuild rdepends hal –direct” the following modules still depend on HAL:
More important stuff to take a look at:
Not yet covered in the stats but required to fix are also:
- GTK+/GLib Single includes (Metabug):
- To Do: gdm, gail
- PATCHES awaiting review/commit: gnome-mag, gtksourceview
- To Do: A lot. Developers please start taking a look at this.
- LibSexy deprecation:
- To Do: Vino
- PATCHES awaiting review/commit: anjuta, tracker, PolicyKit-gnome
Nice to fix:
- Adding Introspection support.
- AM_SILENT_RULES / shave bugs
- Porting to PolicyKit 1.0: PATCHES awaiting review/commit: gdm, gconf, gconf-editor, gnome-applets, gnome-panel, gnome-session
For GNOME 2.26/2.28, I have posted a Showstopper Review earlier this week. Feel free to take a look, test & help out, get things done.
Kudos to the progress that has been made so far!
Getting rid of Popt is basically DONE.
ZERO modules dependening on Esound is DONE.
ZERO modules dependening on Gnomeprint is DONE.
The Website revamp front is rocking, and the Documentation team also has some great momentum currently.