I’ve been looking into GConf a little bit, trying to figure out how best
to optimize for things like metacity when they’re starting up. I went
ahead and implemented the batched queries interface that’s described in
the IDL sources but was never implemented for some reason, but that’s
not really the entire solution. It seems like there is something not
happening as expected in the client-side caching when you preload some
Metacity preloads keys from /apps/metacity or whatever, so you
expect it will recursively preload all the keys. But when I trace the
CORBA method calls I see something like this:
- All subdirs of /apps/metacity
- All entries of /apps/metacity
- … a few unrelated things…
- Query value /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier
So, it looks like the client is not caching all the values recursively.
I’m not entirely sure yet, so I’m going to investigate some more in the
next couple days.