Making a black GNOME

Hello!
As I have many comments on my previous post, I’ll try to explain how to make a good black theme:

1. Choose a beautiful and simple wallpaper:

My wallpaper

2. Choose a beautiful theme, and change its colors:

bruno@reginaldo:~$ cat .themes/GNOME\ Black/index.theme
[Desktop Entry]
Name=GNOME Black
Type=X-GNOME-Metatheme
Comment=
Encoding=UTF-8
[X-GNOME-Metatheme]
GtkTheme=Glossy
MetacityTheme=Glossy
IconTheme=gnome
GtkColorScheme=fg_color:#fffff46eea13,bg_color:#444444444343,text_color:#ffffffffffff,base_color:#54a554a554a5,selected_fg_color:#ffffffffffff,selected_bg_color:#1ad71ad71ad7,tooltip_fg_color:#000000000000,tooltip_bg_color:#fffff1f1bebe
CursorTheme=default
CursorSize=18

3. Finally, pick up a complete and simple icon theme. I suggest GNOME default or Tango icon theme.

Obligatory screenshot:

Dear lazyweb,

How can I post pure HTML on WordPress? I’ve been tried many ways, but WP always fill my post with <br> , &lt and &gt. Drivel give me an error message when I have links into the post.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Making a black GNOME”

1. http://ottodestruct.com/wpstuff/disableautop.zip is an extension to disable WordPress’s markup fixer, so I’ve been led to believe.

– Chris

2. [...] fortunate timing Bruno Boaventura got a ‘Making a black GNOME‘ post in planet Gnome. It’s really sad seeing so many savvy people failing to see what [...]

3. davide says:

It’s very good, but I think looking light or white web pages smahes the eyes…

but very good looking.

4. Ryan says:

Gotta turn off the wysiwyg editor or at least temporarily switch into the plain text editor – that should probably do it.

5. javanoob says:

Loeved your last 2 posts, heres is something i hope it can help you!

For posting html code you could use the following tags

...

/cheers

6. javanoob says:

A second look on this [url=http://faq.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/how-do-i-post-source-code]link[/url] from the WordPress site may be the answer youre lookking for. It looks that html is noit suported! :S

But you got to try!

7. k says:

exactly, black themes are sexy, but strain the eyes if you attempt to browse the web ;-)

8. wower says:

Did you edited this:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=GNOME Black
    Type=X-GNOME-Metatheme
    Comment=
    Encoding=UTF-8
    [X-GNOME-Metatheme]
    GtkTheme=Glossy
    MetacityTheme=Glossy
    IconTheme=gnome
    CursorTheme=default
    CursorSize=18

I ask you, because i cant find that file in a standard Ubuntu install.

Thanks for the attention!

9. Nick says:

Hi, I thought I’d give your theme a go, the only problem is that “tool tips” so up as white text on yellow and I can’t read them, please can you tell me how to fix that?
    Thanks :)

10. Nick says:

Duh, to answer my own question … need to change this “tooltip_bg_color:#fffff1f1bebe” … thanks anyway!

11. brunobol says:

@wower:
    Edit your theme on System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then, save the theme with your prefered name. The ~/.themes/YOURTHEME/index.theme will be created. Also you can create the file by hand.

12. brunobol says:

@wower:

Also, if you have problem with notifications, change the theme to GNOME default:

$ gconftool -s –type=string /apps/notification-daemon/theme standard

13. [...] old tracks I found in a backup. Gnome: Changed the colour of tooltips as doing it in the theme file didn’t work Eye Candy: Fixed my CPU Temp Gauge (by typing sensors-detect, and following the [...]