November 30, 2008
This week… 1476 commits, in 165 projects, by 160 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
- There were lots of 2.24.2 tagging, with 2.24.2 released on Wednesday.
- Many modules completed the “Cleaning up GTK Includes” goal (file-roller, system-monitor, gnome-session, fast-user-switch-applet, libgweather, gnome-nettool and gnome-netstatus).
- Another goal is about removing deprecated GTK+ symbols, gdm, system-monitor and gnome-netstatus completed it.
- gedit merged plugin system changes from its “new_plugin” branch; this includes a new python plugin loader, references to Python have been removed from gedit core.
- Christian Persh continued cleaning gnome-terminal and added a runtime debugging framework.
- Ron McOuat patch to add support for basic and digest authentication in souphttpstr (in GStreamer) got applied.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo gave some attention to gnome-netstatus, cleaning it up (including the removal of the libgnomeui dependency) and applying some long-waiting patches (most notable being the consideration of Fitt’s law).
- Aisleriot gained a new game, Queen of Italy (aka Terrace)
- Lutz Mueller and Morten Welinder made it possible to drag a sheet from gnumeric to gedit (or any other text program).
- Finally Evolution CalDAV support gained support for VTODO and VJOURNAL resources
November 23, 2008
This week… 1470 commits, in 149 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 126 were translation commits).
- Support for file transfer has been merged in Empathy; it is currently only available for Link-Local XMPP, support for Jabber should now be implemented in telepathy-gabble; Guillaume Desmottes posted about this.
- gnome-shell is progressing nicely and Owen Taylor gave a status update.
- f-spot moved from gnome-vfs to gio.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his work on vte and its pangocairo backend, he also removed obsolete backends.
- Josselin Mouette merged Debian patches into esound, which prompted the release of 0.2.41.
- Rhythmbox can now deal with uninitialized iPods.
- Benjamin Otte improved the gvfs FTP backend to work with more FTP servers.
- evolution-mapi, a connector to Microsoft Exchange 2007, gained its own subversion module and has been proposed for 2.26.
- tracker got its indexer module API GObject oriented, this will allow easier bindings development and more flexible behaviour for modules.
- Glade gained a new editor for cell renderers.
November 16, 2008
This week… 1363 commits, in 162 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 164 were translation commits).
- The getting-rid-of-libgnome-and-gnome-vfs quest continues with Ekiga losing its dependency on libgnome and Anjuta removing some gnome-vfs usage
- Matthias Clasen added lockdown support in the gnome-settings-daemon keybinding plugin (GNOME bug 553434)
- In rhythmbox Christophe Fergeau switched several g_timeout_add to g_timeout_add_seconds so it wakes up the CPU less often; and Bastien Nocera added detection of the new PSP-3000
- Bedhad Esfahbod added pangocairo backend to vte, and made it the default; it is as fast as the xft backend.
- NetworkManager got support for PKCS#12 private keys
- Evince got support for PDF layers (but it doesn’t seem like such support has been merged in poppler yet)
- Murray Cumming created projects.gnome.org, to host project pages that were on www.gnome.org/projects/; he posted to devel-announce to explain the motivation and implications
- Finally, in GTK+-land, Michael Natterer added the new orientation API to GtkRange
November 9, 2008
This week… 1590 commits, in 166 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 153 were translation commits).
- Many modules saw development releases for 2.25.1.
- The libgnome dependency got removed from gnome-power-manager, and gnome-utils (dictionary, screenshot, logview) removed it as well as the dependency on libgnomeui.
- In the same vain, seahorse-plugins removed its gnome-vfs dependency.
- William Jon McCann commited a new volume control using PulseAudio, deprecating the old gst-mixer one.
- Behdad Esfahbod worked quite a bit on gnome-settings-daemon and blogged about the improved login time he achieved.
- Benjamin Berg added a Clearlookstest theme, as he proposed on desktop-devel-list several weeks ago, it is not enabled by default though.
- brasero got a nautilus extension, based on current nautilus-cd-burner.
- John Carr commited support for git mirrors to jhbuild (support for bzr mirrors coming soon).
November 2, 2008
This week… 1368 commits, in 151 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
Gimp merged the Google Summer of Code project of Daniel Eddeland that added on-canvas text-editing. Rhythmbox gaired a new iPod properties dialog (with disk usage and such stuff). NetworkManager code was cleaned up adding and using accessors to various settings. Libgnome/ui got killed this week in libgames-support (and that finally makes gnome-games libgnome free) (by Thomas H.P. Andersen), goffice (by Jean Brefort) and gnome-settings-daemon (by Jens Granseuer). Brasero has been proposed for inclusion in 2.26 and continues to see a steady flow of bug fixes. Owen Taylor commited a little bit of gnome-shell code into Subversion and posted some notes. Zeeshan Ali moved gnome-media-server to Subversion under a new name, Rygel.