October 31, 2010
This week… 2425 commits, in 224 projects, by 227 happy hackers (and 516 were translation commits).
- Shaun McCance merged the new desktop help that was being written in a Gitorious repository by Phil Bull and others into the gnome-user-docs module.
- Daniel P. Berrange removed the server side framebuffer cached in a GdkPixmap in gtk-vnc, as the client side was changed to use a cairo image surface.
- Giovanni Campagna completed a library for exposing required parts of gnome-bluetooth to GNOME Shell.
- Totem has been ported to the new GApplication API.
- Some initial Mallard pages have been added by Mario Blätterman to pybibliographer.
- Gabriel Burt updated banshee to show episodes in a grid view.
- Viven Malerba optimized virtual tables usage in libgda.
- Jim Evins added support for elliptical labels to the template designer in glabels.
- Support for monotonic time has been added to glib by Ryan Lortie. He also commited (untested) support for GApplication actions.
- In notification-daemon Jon McCann added a notification box class that updates in place . (GNOME bug 633457)
October 24, 2010
This week… 2246 commits, in 200 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 297 were translation commits).
- Colin Walters worked on porting gjs to xulrunner 2, including a port to use fast constructors.
- Rodrigo Moya migrated many control center settings (accessibility, mouse and touchpad) to GSettings.
- A “Remove attachments” command has been added to Evolution by Rex Tsai (GNOME bug 534453)
- Brtfs has been made a normal part of gparted, it is no longer necessary to use the –enable-brtfs option.
- A volume indicator has been added to GNOME Shell by Giovanni Campagna . (GNOME bug 629455)
- Vitaly Minko added a new popup menu item in the Empathy chat window allowing to add words to dictionaries . (GNOME bug 550775).
- Felix Riemann made “best fit” a toggle action in Eog, making it clear from the toolbar when the image will be rescaled with the window and when not . (GNOME bug 616890)
- Tadej Borovšak added a GtkScollable interface to GTK+, and several modules (Nautilus, GNOME Control Center, gtksourceview, and gedit) have already been adapted to use it.
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen added a new GtkGrid widget, similar to GtkTable but without the legacy properties and unncessary restrictions.
- GNOME Settings Daemon got a bridge plugin, listening to GSettings changes and propagating them to GConf.
October 17, 2010
This week… 1906 commits, in 198 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 330 were translation commits).
- Once again this week many modules are being ported to GTK+ 3, a notable exemple is the port of the Murrine GTK+ Engine.
- Jon McCann dropped support for non-PAM authentication methods from gnome-screensaver.
- A new GApplication implementation by Ryan Lortie landed in glib.
- John Palmieri added compatibility functions for the deprecated PyCObject API to pygobject, also updating it to use the new PyCapsule PAI for Python versions above 3 . (GNOME bug 630844)
- Jonh Wendell made the Avahi browser in Vinagre work with its new plugin system.
- Vitaly Minko updated Empathy to divide spelling suggestions in one sub-menu per language . (GNOME bug 532832)
- Many parts of gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center have been migrated to use GSettings.
- Robin Sonefors added a GUI for unit conversions to gcalctool . (GNOME bug 539830)
- Dodji Seketeli made it possible to start remote debugging in Nemiver from the command line, it is no longer necessary to fill necessary parameters in the GUI . (GNOME bug 624630)
- The colour temperature has been added to the profile viewer details of gnome-color-manager.
- Jonathan Matthew added children to the podcast rhythmbox item, to have access to both new episodes and recent downloads.
- David Zeuthen started implementing the Date and Time GNOME Shell mockups, in the datetime branch.
- And Christian Dywan added a GtkComboBoxText class to GTK+, subclassing GtkComboBox and replaceing the old gtk_combo_box_*_text() convenience API . (GNOME bug 612396)
October 10, 2010
This week… 1988 commits, in 187 projects, by 228 happy hackers (and 349 were translation commits).
- Too many modules to list were ported to use upstream gettext instead of the glib version, and to GTK+ 3, be it complete ports or updates to match recent changes.
- William Jon McCann added a “persistence” server capability to notification-daemon, and the corresponding support in libnotify; this will allow clients to determine if the server will only show transient notifications or has notification persistence. If the server supports persistence then the client should not perform its own message persistence (for example by showing a status icon).
- Hans Breuer fixed the saving of some display settings (antialiasing, snap-to-object…) in Dia . (GNOME bug 155929)
- Meld was modified to use Myers matcher for inline differences (part of GNOME bug 587410).
- An “Edit Image” toolbar button hs been added to eog, conditionnally enabled if a specific image editor is specified in GSettings . (GNOME bug 609958)
- Florian Müllner published an “overview-relayout” branch of GNOME Shell, inaugurating his blog with a From the land of Shell post.
- Sanford Armstrong ported the note XML to HTML transformation that happens in Snowy to the lxml library (GNOME bug 631189).
- In Brasero Philippe Rouquier added a new check for the volume free space when creating an image.
- The control panel of GNOME Color Manager has been split into four tabs to reduce the window height.
- Thomas Wood started implementing new UI designs from Jakup Steiner and Hylke Bons for the datetime configuration panel.
- The “ui-widgets” branch has been merged into gnome-keyring, Stef Walter posted about it in Certificate and Key Widgets.
- Luca Bruno started adding Brtfs-handling modules to gparted.
- In glib Ryan Lortie added GSettings APIs for range and choices . (GNOME bug 631263)
- And in GTK+ Cody Russell added resize grips to GtkWindow, and Matthias Clasen also posted about it in Getting a grip.
October 3, 2010
This week… 3020 commits, in 245 projects, by 298 happy hackers (and 597 were translation commits).
- Colin Walters ported gjs, and gnome-shell, to xulrunner 1.9.3 . (GNOME bug 622896, GNOME bug 630539)
- Florent Viard added a persistent history to the “connect to other bus” dialog in d-feet.
- Libpeas dropped application name from the plugin filename extensions, and the INI section, making it .plugin and [Plugin] instead of .appname-plugin and [AppName Plugin ]. (GNOME bug 631165)
- Evince Python bindings, in gnome-python-desktop, have been updated to the 2.32 API.
- Lapo Calamandrei added and tweaked icons in the gnome-icon-theme-symbolic set.
- Support for week number support in GDateTime has been completed by Ryan Lortie . (GNOME bug 630077)
- Many modules were updated for GTK+ 3, for the removal of GtkObject (like libwnck or evolution-data-server), the new “draw” signal, replacing expose-event (like gnome-screensaver or gnome-desktop), and other changes (like gcalctool or gnome-media).
- Kail Willadsen added previous/next conflict actions in meld (GNOME bug 602873)
- Javier Jardón pushed several projects to use upstream gettext instead of the glib one.
- Matthew Barnes rewrote the folder subscription editor in Evolution, using Camel async API instead of the MailMsg infrastructure to simplify the implementation.
- Giovanni Campagna added support for cairo-drawn sliders to be used in PopupMenus of GNOME Shell (for example for the audio volume ). (GNOME bug 625029)
- The GTK+ branch introducting a draw signal, replacing expose-event, has been merged.