October 18, 2009
This week… 2078 commits, in 184 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 438 were translation commits).
- The new GtkFileSystemModel worked by Benjamin Otte and Federico Mena Quintero has been pushed to GTK+.
- Also in GTK+, a new GtkSpinner widget has been commited . (GNOME bug 319607)
- libsoup was changed to allow multiple pending connections to a server at once, as only allowing a single connection attempt at once really slows down pages with lots of subresources on servers that disallow persistent connections . (GNOME bug 594768)
- gdm has been converted from using gnome-power-manager to DeviceKit-power . (GNOME bug 596569)
- Jason Clinton pushed the Clutter rewrite of the Nibbles game, done by Guillaume Beland during his summer of code.
- Vinagre has been updated to keep the aspect ratio when using scaling mode . (GNOME bug 593192)
- Jason Childs added support for transparent objects in dia, by adding alpha to the Color structure . (GNOME bug 591525)
- Devhelp has been modified to look for an existing local copy of documents referred by their library.gnome.org location . (GNOME bug 598598)
- xml2po has been fixed to work with parallel builds . (GNOME bug 593175)
- Balsa, Gimp and goffice were all ported to compile fine with GSEAL enabled.
August 23, 2009
This week… 2565 commits, in 231 projects, by 273 happy hackers (and 652 were translation commits).
- Andoni Morales imported longomatch, a sports video analysis tool for coaches and sports scientists using Mono and GStreamer, into git.gnome.org.
- Empathy gained optional support for connman (as used in Moblin) to manage its connectivity status. Sjoerd Simons also pushed his branch porting Empathy to Mission Control 5, which improves the foundations of Empathy and makes integrating Telepathy with the desktop more practical.
- Zhang Sen finished his Summer of Code pushing a new collaborative mode to his sudoku over telepathy tubes.
- The Evolution Exchange autoconfig wizard has been ported to GtkAssistant, evolution-exchange is now libgnome(ui) free . (GNOME bug 580904)
- The “About Me” configuration window was ported to PolicyKit 1.0, to be honest this amounted to removing all traces of PolicyKit from the application.
- Orca got special casing for the no break space character since some synthesizers cannot handle them . (GNOME bug 591734)
- Daniel Elstner continued his work, cleaning the build process of many C++ bindings, and converted the examples in the gtkmm documentation to non-recursive build.
- Brian Cameron improved the documentation for a11y configuration of gdm . (GNOME bug 141378)
- In the Panel Vincent Untz fixed several issues related to multi monitor use cases.
August 9, 2009
This week… 1813 commits, in 179 projects, by 261 happy hackers (and 401 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to use its new logo in both the browser plugin and main player (GNOME bug 480200), and to display embedded cover images in audio streams (GNOME bug 581249).
- Marek Kašík added SVG support to GtkPrintBackendFile, this allows printing to SVG 1.2 files. (GNIME bug 357655)
- Gimp got a palette export script which allows exporting palettes to .css, .php, .py, .txt and .java by adding a Export to menu item in the palette context menu in the Palettes dockable . (GNOME bug 304399)
- Paolo Bacchilega imported his “ext” branch to gthumb, that refactors much of it into a system of extensions.
- In GNOME Shell Marina Zhurakhinskaya enabled hot corner for triggering the overview mode; to enter and leave the overview mode by just moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen,
and Owen Taylor added a desktop file, to allow making GNOME Shell the desktop default by adding it to the auto-start items
- Empathy was changed so dragndropping contacts will move them from group to group, instead of duplicating them in both groups . (GNOME bug 585443)
- David Zeuthen added a first usable version of the Create RAID Array dialog to GNOME Disk Utility.
- A new display-configuration branch has been created in gdm, to pursue GNOME bug 536355, to get back the ability to start and stop displays dynamically.
- Xan Lopez reimplemented a password viewer for Epiphany, that fetches the data from the GNOME keyring, which is where WebKit stores it . (GNOME bug 579217)
- In his Summer of Code project Guillaume Beland ported gnibbles to Clutter 1.0, fixed a collision bug and added some nice animations and effects.
July 19, 2009
This week… 1954 commits, in 172 projects, by 279 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Amitakhya Phukan added Assamese translations to a bunch of modules.
- Pierre Wieser rewrote much of the foundations of nautilus-actions, and ported to GtkBuilder along the way.
- Along the same line Felix Riemann removed the last bit of libglade from gnome-settings-daemon (GNOME bug 582502); Jaap Haitsma ported gnome-nettool (GNOME bug 580149), Christopher Taylor did gnome-screensaver (GNOME bug 463010), and Javier Jardón migrated the GTK+ wizard of Anjuta.
- A target to generate PDF files have been added to gtk-doc exposed targets.
- Several release team scripts, and jhbuild, have added support for SHA-256, to replace MD5 checksums with a better hashing algorithm.
- Thanks to Thibault Saunier, libgdata gained support for the Google Documents service (GNOME bug 587073); this is an important step in his Nautilus: Add support to Google docs for GNOME GSOC.
- Evolution got a rewrite of its calendar cache, backends will be migrating to it after some more testing.
- Working on GtkTreeView performances Benjamin Otte looked at Epiphany location bar and changed it to set a fixed width on its cell renderer.
- Murray Cumming published a toolpalette branch for GTK+, implementing a new tool palette container widget, with groups of toolbar items that can be shown as a grid of icons or a list of names (GNOME bug 567729).
- Also in GTK+ Michael Natterer added a bunch of API to access sealed flags or members, as they are necessary for applications to port applications to a GSEAL-enabled GTK+.
- Banshee added support for WebOS, used in the Palm Pre (GNOME bug 585112).
- Ray Strode ported the GDM greeter to PolicyKit 1.0, and made it so, that in case of duplicated names, it appends the username to differentiate the entries.
- After discussing the matter with designers at GUADEC, William Jon McCann patched libgnome to disable icons on menu items and buttons (GNOME bug 583352, GNOME bug 557469); guidelines on the proper usage of icons should now be published.
March 15, 2009
This week… 2312 commits, in 240 projects, by 194 happy hackers (and 1253 were translation commits).
- Hard code freeze started this week, things settle down and translators are hard at task, there is now 8 languages at 100% and 44 languages over the 80% mark. The Oriya team is again leading the progress show with a mind-boggling increase of 17 points (that is almost 7500 strings!), it is now at 77%; other particulary noteworthy teams are Malayalam (+11 points), Hindi (+10), Telugu and Tamil (+8), Greek and Assamese (+7).
- A major discussion happened in gtk-devel-list over fsync in glib/gio, led by Alexander Larsson with a patch to gio making sure fsync() is called and adding a new G_FILE_CREATE_ASYNC_WRITE flag. A patch to call fsync() was also applied to gedit.
- Epiphany trunk is again preparing a WebKit future with profile migration from the old Mozilla backends (both SQLite and txt formats).
- To perfectly match nautilus-cd-burner, Brasero added a CD/DVD Creator entry to the System Tools menu, to start up a Nautilus window in burn :// (GNOME bug 573790)
- Dan Winship seriously improved libsoup documentation.
- Rhythmbox got a new CD burning plugin, using brasero, that is now built in preference to the nautilus-cd-burner plugin . (GNOME bug 536732)
- Andrea Cimitan updated his Murrine theme to support the “progress bar in entry” that is new in GTK+ 2.16.
- Ray Strode disabled the user presence stuff from gdm for now until some of the pieces that make it useful get fleshed out.
- Finally Vincent Untz spent much time to fix session saving for 2.26, be sure to test the patch now attached to GNOME bug 552387.
November 30, 2008
This week… 1476 commits, in 165 projects, by 160 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
- There were lots of 2.24.2 tagging, with 2.24.2 released on Wednesday.
- Many modules completed the “Cleaning up GTK Includes” goal (file-roller, system-monitor, gnome-session, fast-user-switch-applet, libgweather, gnome-nettool and gnome-netstatus).
- Another goal is about removing deprecated GTK+ symbols, gdm, system-monitor and gnome-netstatus completed it.
- gedit merged plugin system changes from its “new_plugin” branch; this includes a new python plugin loader, references to Python have been removed from gedit core.
- Christian Persh continued cleaning gnome-terminal and added a runtime debugging framework.
- Ron McOuat patch to add support for basic and digest authentication in souphttpstr (in GStreamer) got applied.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo gave some attention to gnome-netstatus, cleaning it up (including the removal of the libgnomeui dependency) and applying some long-waiting patches (most notable being the consideration of Fitt’s law).
- Aisleriot gained a new game, Queen of Italy (aka Terrace)
- Lutz Mueller and Morten Welinder made it possible to drag a sheet from gnumeric to gedit (or any other text program).
- Finally Evolution CalDAV support gained support for VTODO and VJOURNAL resources
October 26, 2008
This week… 1938 commits, in 197 projects, by 203 happy hackers (and 378 were translation commits).
The libgnome-removal quest continues this week with Thomas H.P. Andersen nailing it down in several games (gnometris, gnotravex, gnotski and iagno) and Cosima Cecchi killing it off baobab. While at it Thomas also updated gnometris from gnome-vfs to gio; and speaking of games Jason Clinton and Christian Persh hacked on the new Clutter-based aisleriot. GDM gained back real automatic and timed login. Gnome Power Manager switched to use libcanberra and the sound theme rather than shipping its own sounds and directly using GStreamer. On the translators front, Djihed Afifi commited lots of updates from the Arabic team and Stéphane Raimbault and Claude Paroz started hacking on a Django-based port of Damned Lies, the site that offers l10n.gnome.org.
October 19, 2008
This week… 1802 commits, in 171 projects, by 195 happy hackers (and 301 were translation commits).
A port of dasher in Java has been added to the dasher repository, it was done by Chris Smowton. Sébastien Granjoux implemented support for gdbserver in Anjuta. William Jon McCann worked a little bit on the user-switch-applet that is now part of gdm. Empathy gained a pidgin-accounts import dialog and finally got support for chatroom invitations. More modules were migrated away from libgnome (gnome-games, marlin, cheese) and to GtkBuilder (eog) and gio (tracker search tool).