May 6, 2012
This week… 2665 commits, in 201 projects, by 227 happy hackers (and 357 were translation commits).
- Sergey V. Udaltsov removed unneeded xmodmap support from libgnomekbd . (GNOME bug 674874)
- Ludovic Ferrandis added a Connman based Context Manager to gupnp . (GNOME bug 672998)
- Christian Persch landed many updates to gnome-terminal, port to GSettings, application menu, and more.
- Speaking of application menu, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro added one to gstranslator.
- Perumal Viravan contributed a new documentation for the lightsoff game, using Mallard, of course.
- In gnome-disk-utility David Zeuthen added a Disk Image Mounter utility, and associated it with ISO files, for easy mounting from Nautilus.
- Bastien Nocera added a setting to disable middle click pastes in GTK +. (GNOME bug 665243)
- In orca Joanmarie Diggs began preparations for moving to Python 3.
- Cosimo Cecchi gave a new GNOME 3 style interface to gnome-font-viewer, complete with an overview and an application menu.
- Matt McCutchen fixed evolution-data-server to limit accepted bad certificates to the expected hostnames . (GNOME bug 606181)
- Paolo Borelli added support for the new location of the gtk bookmarks file to gedit.
March 18, 2012
This week… 2882 commits, in 225 projects, by 292 happy hackers (and 824 were translation commits).
- Øyvind Kolås added an API for managing palette based formats to babl.
- Jesse van den Kieboom moved the gedit-code-assistance backends to the peas based plugin system.
- Johan Dahlin added a PyGTK compatibility layer to pygobject, that module tries quite a bit harder to maintain compatibility with PyGTK, module names, enums, flags and some API . (GNOME bug 653462)
- In gnome-themes-standard Cosimo Cecchi added the infrastructure to create the High Contrast icon theme from the symbolic icons.
- Peter Hurley contributed to gnome-panel to add a style class for orientation to menubar, this allows themeing to adjust styling for vertical panels . (GNOME bug 672070)
- Guillaume Desmottes added a new calendar button in Empathy . (GNOME bug 671981)
- In gnome-settings-daemon Bastien Nocera changed the behaviour of the logout key to call shutdown . (GNOME bug 671979)
- In gnome-terminal Christian Persch added handling of GDK_SCROLL_SMOOTH, for smooth scrolling.
- Debarshi Ray changed gnome-online-accounts to hide dialog buttons during the authorization step.
- Zeeshan Ali modified gnome-boxes wizard to only show ISO files in the file chooser . (GNOME bug 672160)
- In gnome-color-manager Richard Hughes provided a way for a program to find out if calibration is enabled . (GNOME bug 672028)
- Bertrand Lorentz implemented SSL certificate validation in Banshee . (GNOME bug 671536)
May 1, 2011
This week… 2045 commits, in 208 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 438 were translation commits).
- In gthumb Paolo Bacchilega added a map vto view the geographical position where the picture was taken.
- Cosimo Cecchi changed sushi to remove the window title when going fullscreen.
- Gioavanni Campagna added a new “Removable Drive Menu” extension for gnome-shell, this adds a menu in the system status area that tracks removable disk devices attached and offers to browse them and eject/unmount them . (GNOME bug 647027)
- Hans Breuer worked on updating the dia manual to match recent changes . (GNOME bug 632660)
- Alberto Ruiz went on adding gobject introspection annotation to functions in pango.
- In GNOME Settings Daemon Bastien Nocera simplified the NTP handling for distributions.
- Guillaume Desmottes refactored the usage of Telepathy in GNOME Shell, porting it to TpBaseClient . (GNOME bug 645585)
- Also in GNOME Shell Giovanni Campagna updated the network menu to keep wireless networks in a predictable ordre . (GNOME bug 646580)
- Shaun McCance added some basic Mallard conditional processing to Yelp.
- Epiphany status overlay was updated by Alexandre Mazari to slide out when the mouse pointer goes close by . (GNOME bug 643909)
- Felix Rieman switched eog to use lcms2 for colour management.
- GNOME Terminal has been updated to use gsettings for proxy settings, by Christian Persch . (GNOME bug 647077)
- John Stowers greatly improved shell theme selection and installation in gnome-tweak-tool.
- Sébastien Granjoux added the possibility to change directory group properties in Anjuta.
- Jonathan Matthew removed the old plugin system of rhythmbox, completing the switch to libpeas.
June 13, 2010
This week… 2432 commits, in 191 projects, by 260 happy hackers (and 292 were translation commits).
- Many modules started adopting GTK+ 3 (GNOME Desktop, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Color Manager, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Control Center, Goocanvas, Totem), sometimes keeping compatibility with GTK+ 2.x, (like VTE, gucharmap, GNOME Games, librsvg and GNOME Terminal).
- Shaun McCance added “Copy Code Block” and “Save Code Black As” to code snippets in Yelp, he wrote about the feature in Yelp and the DOM.
- The volume control “applet” has been changed to use symbolic icons (GNOME bug 614212), to complete this Jakub Steiner added such icons for microphone levels . (GNOME bug 621175)
- Johan Dahlin added a “promise” module to gjs, to provide a better API for supporting asynchronous code . (GNOME bug 608450)
- Grilo got a gravatar plugin, it is used to distribute an artist-avatar/author-avater attribute if either “artist” or “author” fields contain a valid email.
- Totem has been updated to use a dark theme and symbolic icons . (GNOME bug 617921)
- Ryan Lortie added dconf-editor to the dconf module.
- Jonathan Matthew implemented the MPRIS D-Bus specification in Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 618520), MPRIS defines a common D-Bus interface for media players.
- Harold Schreckengost contributed a new F-Spot topic based help.
- Felix Kaser added a new “EmpathyLiveSearch” widget in Empathy, used to dynamically filter the main window contact list.
- In GNOME Control Center Thomas Wood converted the display capplet to a settings panel.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added a search function to the function selector of Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 495776)
- In the GNOME Shell Florian Müllner added a fade effect when overing over items of the dash . (GNOME bug 620782)
- Abderrahim Kitouni added a plugin to support Vala to Anjuta . (GNOME bug 620757)
- William Jon McCann improved the performance of the GDM greeter (GNOME bug 621045)
- In Summer of Code land, Alexander Saprykin wrote a tiny parser for CMML files, so libcmml won’t be necessary for chapter support in Totem; Yuvi Panda made photo, video and burst modes of Cheese work in his Vala port; Michal Hruby wrote a Rhythmbox plugin using Zeitgeist; and more.
April 18, 2010
This week… 2112 commits, in 216 projects, by 243 happy hackers (and 431 were translation commits).
- The Hamster project got separated in client and d-bus service, and got a command line client (GNOME bug 602642).
- Behdad Esfahbod pushed a gnome-terminal branch with a find dialog to highlight search terms . (GNOME bug 78963).
- Much work happened in the asm-support branch of nemiver.
- This was the week of the gsettings hackfest, many changes landed in both glib and gconf modules, you should read the day 1 summary by Vincent Untz and overall summary by Matthias Clasen.
- During that hackfest baobab (in gnome-utils) has also been ported to gsettings, with explanative commit messages, and the devhelp branch has been updated for the API changes.
- There was also a GNOME Python hackfest and much work happened in pygobject and pygi, go read posts written by John Palmieri: day 0, day 1, day 2, and wrapup.
- Tadej Borovšak ported sound juicer to GtkBuilder, this was the last module using libglade, yeah.
- Torsten Schönfeld started adding GIO support to the Perl binding, via gobject-introspection.
- Support for application-indicators/StatusNotifierIcon has been added to the typing break applet in gnome-control-center (GNOME bug 606671)
- Evolution got a new foocanvas branch, getting rid of libgnomecanvas.
- A new SSH Hosts plugin written by Fabian Carlström has been added to kupfer.
- Joanmarie Diggs added improved support for Empathy in orca . (GNOME bug 589925)
January 17, 2010
This week… 2106 commits, in 195 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 348 were translation commits).
- Behdad Esfahbod added the possibility to save the content of a terminal . (GNOME bug 24457)
- Vinagre feature to share a desktop over Telepathy has been ported to the latest Telepathy API, removing the requirement on Empathy to dispatch tubes.
- A new accounts-dialog module has been imported, talking to a new accountsservice service to manage accounts; Matthias Clasen announced it on his weblog: Old Promises.
- Parallel to those developments Milan Bouchet-Vala continued hacking on the accounts management in system-tools-backend and GNOME system tools, improving both backends and user interface.
- XChat-GNOME got rid of libgnome and libgnomeui (GNOME bug 584887); the GNOME Panel also got rid of them.
- gdm has been fixed to not display a different message for user unknown versus a failed password for a valid user, to avoid revealing which user names are valid without authenticating . (GNOME bug 606703)
- Andrea Cimitan speed up the Murrine engine in RGBA mode, fixing the way webkit windows were handled along the way.
- Alexander Larsson added support for lazy loading of giomodules to GLib.
- Thomas Wood worked on the evolution of the control center, moving to a single window approach, in the single-window-shell branch, read his weblog for more info.
- GNOME Disk Utility got a first cut at LVM2 support, with support for creating Logical Volumes; support for setting up striping and mirroring will come later.
- Bastien Nocera added cropping capability to the chooser widget of Cheese . (GNOME bug 606730)
- Toms Baugis improved the hamster applet so it will now adapt automatically to theme colours.
- Epiphany “find on page” feature has been improved to wait a little bit before searching for one or two character strings, which slowed down things . (GNOME bug 598322)
December 27, 2009
This week… 1776 commits, in 177 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- This was hackfest week for Epiphany, WebKitGTK+ (and other related modules), go and read Xan Lopez and Gustavo Noronha summaries. Or read on for my particular pick…
- Benjamin Otte added support for favicons the the epiphany tabs-reloaded extension.
- Content-Encoding support landed in libsoup (GNOME bug 522772)
- Custom user-agent support has been added.
- There is a new info bar widget at the top of the web view, used to ask if credentials have to be saved.
- Maxim Ermilov added command and path completion to the Alt+F2 dialog of GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 597677)
- Also in GNOME Shell Colin Walters added an extension system, there is no UI yet, it will come later . (GNOME bug 599661)
- Johan Dahlin added a Makefile.introspection file to gobject-introspection, to be used by other projects, and modified pango and gtk+ to use it.
- After some discussion on nautilus-list and gnome-shell-list, Alexander Larsson changed Nautilus to use its browser mode by default.
- The GNOME Terminal preferences dialog got a new “unlimited scrollback” option (GNOME bug 599443).
- After a comment in last week digest edition, Paolo Bacchilega changed File Roller to use AES128 instead of AES256 as encryption type.
- Libgnomekbd got a new GkbdStatus widget implementing a status icon, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote about it in kbd stuff going threezero.
October 4, 2009
This week… 2015 commits, in 171 projects, by 239 happy hackers (and 242 were translation commits).
- Robin Sonefors contributed a prime factorization function to gcalctool (GNOME bug 563217).
- Evolution got rid of all the deprecated GTK+ symbols it used (GNOME bug 572348).
- Pascal Terjan ported the Pidgin nautilus-sendto plugin to use Pidgin D-Bus API (GNOME bug 597039).
- GNOME Shell added a calendar pop-down to the clock (GNOME bug 596432).
- Sound Juicer has been converted to use the Inhibit interface from gnome-session (GNOME bug 596570).
- Vinagre got configurable depth support (in the “depth” branch, to be merged once a new gtk-vnc release gets out ). (GNOME bug 485204)
- Thanks to the efficient scrollback store in vte 0.22 Christian Persch added support for unlimited scrollback to gnome-terminal.
- Nautilus gained a checkbox for not assocating a filetype on open with . (GNOME bug 92497)
- Ryan Lortie commited GSettings property binding support and a GValue serialiser into the gsettings glib branch.
- Empathy fixed its handling of fallback HTML files in Adium themes . (GNOME bug 596303)
April 5, 2009
This week… 1520 commits, in 164 projects, by 160 happy hackers (and 180 were translation commits).
- GTK+ and glib switched to git.gnome.org; so Alexander Larsson sent in his client-side-windows branch; in the meantime Dan Winship published a glib branch adding GResolver, a glib-ish interface to DNS.
- Gerd Kohlberger migrated gok to libcanberra; it was the last module using esound.
- Anjuta git plugin got checkout support; and the project import wizard has been replaced by a simpler dialog that allows to import directly from a version control system.
- A patch by Simon van der Linden got commited to gnome-terminal, adding a “Leave Fullscreen” menu item (GNOME bug 566335).
- Totem switched from bacon-message-connection to libunique (GNOME bug 162822), also a new D-Bus Service plugin (GNOME bug 576016) and the YouTube plugin was ported to C, using the new libgdata library.
- Matthew Barnes continues his hard work removing bonobo usage from evolution, he finished attachment dragndrop in the composer window.
- Evince fading animations got fixed (the next page was displayed before animation started).
- Empathy was fixed so IRC commands without special support are no longer sent as plaintext . (GNOME bug 577026).
- Rhythmbox improved his support for MTP devices; it now creates album objects on the device when transferring songs, and sends the album art to the device if it supports the JPEG file type.