March 1, 2009
This week… 1904 commits, in 187 projects, by 204 happy hackers (and 641 were translation commits).
- British English is the first language to reach 100%, there is now eight languages with over 99% of the UI strings translated, sixteen with over 95%, and 39 over the 80% mark (used to be listed in the release notes).
- There are three new modules in Subversion this week: Gnome Format, a GNOME media formatter, developed by Michael Kanis, gpointing-device-settings, a program for touchpad and trackpad settings, developed by Hiroyuki Ikezoe, and gio-strigi, a GIO wrapper for Strigi, developed by Philip Van Hoof.
- Davyd Madeley started preparing the stage for the 2.26 release notes.
- Following on last week work, Alexander Larsson worked on trusted desktop file launchers in Nautilus.
- Rhythmbox got a D-Bus interface for adding and removing DAAP shares . (GNOME bug 570115)
- GParted added detection of the BRTFS file system.
- David Zeuthen added a –device option to gvfs-mount.
- Support for taking a screenshot of an user-defined selection landed in gnome-screenshot . (GNOME bug 155061, opened in October 2004)
- Lucas Rocha merged his session-saving branch into gnome-session trunk.
- Epiphany (webkit) started using SoupProxyResolverGNOME, so it gets support for GNOME proxy settings through libproxy.
- Bastien Nocera announced the fork of bluez-gnome that is now available in gnome-bluetooth.
- Orca got support for notify-osd (the new Ubuntu notification daemon).
February 1, 2009
This week… 1687 commits, in 167 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 391 were translation commits).
- In Conduit, John Stowers added a new dataprovider that changes the desktop wallpaper, and suggests connecting to a flickr RSS feed…
- Sound Juicer media support has been ported from libnautilusburn to libbrasero-media . (GNOME bug 567286)
- After much testing Behdad Esfahbod removed the ClassDef->Defined field in Pango, and the associated special-handling code; he wrote “The special-casing was consuming lots of memory. EIGHT MEGABYTES for loading DejaVu Sans! While this could be complete fixed, I decided to remove the special-handling code altogether. I don’t think it will make any real difference, and if it does, we’ll fix fonts.”; in another commit he also saved over 2000 alloc calls when loading DejaVu Sans.
- Deskbar got an OpenSearch module . (GNOME bug 528184)
- Cosimo Cecchi implemented write support for the ObexFTP gvfs backend . (GNOME bug 519071)
- Following libnotify acceptance as an external dependency, Empathy got support and will now show a popup notification when receiving a new message.
- Ryan Lortie added _async functions for GDataInputStream (async versions of read_line and read_until ). (GNOME bug 568575)
- file-roller got ported to use gtkbuilder instead of libglade.
- A good bunch of memory leaks were fixed in brasero.
- The Volume Control balance widget got updated to use the new GTK+ scale marks.
- Banshee got a basic clutter UI for rendering the video texture from the clutter sink in the media pipeline.
- Theppitak Karoonboonyanan went on building modules out of their source trees and filed bugs and patches against those failing, many of those issues are already fixed (in gnome-settings-daemon, Ekiga, Brasero and gnome-keyring).
- Callum McKenzie finally killed the last bit of libgnome in gnome-applets; and returned the mixer applet.
- Long standing GTK+ bug (lastly spotted in a post on Planet Gnome by Ruben Vermeersch) got nailed with a patch from Simos Xenitellis . (GNOME bug 162726)
- Rhythmbox improved its handling of transcoding format selection for MTP devices, now preferring MP3 over M4A/AAC . (GNOME bug 567524)
- Pavel Kostyuchenko work on Anjuta/Glade3 integration (part of GSoC, see project his proposal) finally got commited . (GNOME bug 542412)
January 11, 2009
This week… 1992 commits, in 182 projects, by 186 happy hackers (and 349 were translation commits).
- Lucas Rocha set his eyes on gnome-session, and started fixing bugs introduced in the 2.24 rewrite.
- A library, libbrasero-media, got extracted out of brasero, Philippe Rouquier tells more about it on desktop-devel-list.
- Lightsoff, which was started as an example shipped in the Seed module, has been imported in gnome-games.
- File Roller and Eye of GNOME removed their dependencies and libgnome and libgnomeui; and Anjuta removed its dependency on gnomevfs.
- GVFS got its SMB browsing authentication support much improved (GNOME bug 524485).
- Cosimo Cecchi added sound events support in Empathy (via libcanberra).
- In gnome-keyring-daemon, the new modular SSH agent has been integrated as the main SSH agent.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro added a new fullscreen mode to gedit, with a sliding toolbar . (GNOME bug 520749)
- A new plugin was added to nautilus-sendto, to send files over IM via Empathy.
December 14, 2008
This week… 1123 commits, in 144 projects, by 154 happy hackers (and 120 were translation commits).
- Ted Gould posted about gtk_timeout_add_seconds and a few modules (anjuta, ekiga, totem, libbonobo, libegg, brasero) already got fixes.
- Niepce Digital got imported in subversion repository.
- Xan Lopez added support for the WebKit web inspector in Epiphany (and Robert Carr did the same thing for seed minibrowser).
- Vincent Untz got back hacking on gnome-panel, removal of libgnomeui and deprecated API usage, single include, bug fixes and stuff.
- vino added correct support for IPv4 mapped IPv6, and added a new feature to able to set the network interface to listen on (GNOME bug 403183).
- gvfs got a new trash backend written by Ryan Lortie.
- Nautilus gained the possibility to call PackageKit to install applications for for unsupported mime types.
- German Poo-Caamano gave some love to gnome-nettool (portability fixes, better accessibility support, and other fixes and enhancements).
- gtkhtml got improved smileys (toolbar to insert them, obedience to the icon naming specification; screenshots are available in GNOME bug 563841.
- Also, Przemysław Grzegorczyk wrote a lot of patches to clean up GLib and GTK+ includes, see GNOME bug 563413. This earned him a Subversion account.
November 23, 2008
This week… 1470 commits, in 149 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 126 were translation commits).
- Support for file transfer has been merged in Empathy; it is currently only available for Link-Local XMPP, support for Jabber should now be implemented in telepathy-gabble; Guillaume Desmottes posted about this.
- gnome-shell is progressing nicely and Owen Taylor gave a status update.
- f-spot moved from gnome-vfs to gio.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his work on vte and its pangocairo backend, he also removed obsolete backends.
- Josselin Mouette merged Debian patches into esound, which prompted the release of 0.2.41.
- Rhythmbox can now deal with uninitialized iPods.
- Benjamin Otte improved the gvfs FTP backend to work with more FTP servers.
- evolution-mapi, a connector to Microsoft Exchange 2007, gained its own subversion module and has been proposed for 2.26.
- tracker got its indexer module API GObject oriented, this will allow easier bindings development and more flexible behaviour for modules.
- Glade gained a new editor for cell renderers.