August 15, 2010
This week… 2933 commits, in 162 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 368 were translation commits).
- Emmanuele Bassi added JsonReader, a simple, cursor-based API for parsing a JSON DOM, to json-glib.
- Christian Persch created a gdbus branch of gconf, porting it to gdbus; in the same vein David Zeuthen ported PolicyKit-gnome from dbus-glib to gdbus.
- As for GDK changes, Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen started porting gnome-games, Benjamin Otte pushed a cairo-port branch onto gnome-mag, and ported parts of Nautilus, and The Gimp continued being ported to Cairo by Michael Natterer.
- Empathy has been changed by Bilal Akhtar to use GimpNet as default IRC network . (GNOME bug 625675)
- Martin Pitt ported gdm to UPower . (GNOME bug 626176)
- An initial implementation of the “background” panel has been pushed to gnome-control-center.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added exporting of images to ODF in Gnumeric.
- Preview comments have been added to most of the effects provided by gnome-video-effects (now used by Cheese).
- A new “Shuffle” action has been added on the Banshee play queue.
- Ryan Lortie added signals to GApplication, they are: startup, activate, open, action, and command-line.
- Support for common licenses has been added to GTK+, this introduces a :license-type property . (GNOME bug 336225)
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen beefed up the GTK 2 -> 3 migration guide, including a first cut at documenting the rendering cleanup changes and the region removal.
- For their last week of Summer of Code, Dena Dragos added a basic import/export feature to Anjuta snippets, Adrien Bustany added a function to load resources filtering on their attributes to his tracker ORM, Alexander Saprykin got his chapters plugin merged in Totem (GNOME bug 622779), and more.
August 1, 2010
This week… 1817 commits, in 202 projects, by 221 happy hackers (and 396 were translation commits).
- In the ongoing transitions emerillon has been ported to GSettings, while evolution, evolution-data-server, and brasero have been ported to GDBus (GNOME bug 622884 and others).
- Also glibmm gained a wrapper for GApplication, and gtkmm another one for GtkApplication.
- Mike Gorse added thread safety around main loop invocations in PyGTK.
- Eye of GNOME got a settings conversion file, to migrate configuration from GConf to GSettings.
- Jonh Wendell ported Vinagre to use libpeas for its plugins.
- And a basic support for plugin dependencies has been added to libpeas.
- Cheese effect preview elements have been changed to be constructed on-demand, rather than at startup, which has a great effect on startup performance.
- Matthias Clasen improved a lot the coverage of unit tests in GLib.
- Michael Natterer started porting various bits of Gimp from drawing with GDK to drawing with Cairo.
- Paolo Borelli made a first cut at a fonts panel for gnome control center 3.0, at the moment a straight port of the fonts tab of the current appearance preferences dialog.
- In Gnumeric Jean Brefort added support for importing old Guppi graphs from gnumeric 1.0 files.
- Nate Stedman added support for shapes and backgrounds to Ease.
- In Vala Michael Terry added support for the new bytestring GVariant (GNOME bug 624986)
- Last but not least Cosimo Cecchi removed the backgrounds/emblems feature in Nautilus.
- As for GSoC students, many were at GUADEC and you should really watch the recorded GSoC lightning talks session once it’s made available…
July 25, 2010
This week… 2276 commits, in 205 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 504 were translation commits).
- Handling of contacts in Empathy has been switched to use libfolks, this will enable future enhanchements, such as support for metacontacts . (GNOME bug 623714)
- Carlos Garcia Campos ported the byzanz applet to use the new D-Bus based panel applet library.
- Gtk-vnc has switched over to use GIO for socket connections and DNS resolution.
- Giovanni Campagna contributed a base API for system status indicators in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 621705)
- James Liggett implemented a tags pane in the Anjuta git plugin.
- In the ongoing transitions, Nautilus has been ported to GSettings, Eog has been switched to GTK+ 3, and accounts-dialog is being ported to gdbus.
- Preliminary support for adding new annotations (at the moment only Text annotations are supported) has been added to Evince . (GNOME bug 168304)
- Toms Bauģis changed hamster search to use SQLite full text search.
- David Pellicer contributed a few more keyboard layouts to Caribou.
- The function name completion tooltips used in Gnumeric have been improved by Andreas J. Guelzow.
- Evolution-rss default renderer has been switched to be WebKit.
- Nate Stedman merged his branch adding suport for themes in Ease.
- Benjamin Otte continued stripping GTK+ of old GDK drawing functions and classes (GdkPangoRenderer, GdkGC…).
- Richard Hughes split off a new libcolor-glib library out of gnome-color-manager.
- Totem youtube plugin has been updated to work after the latest Youtube page format changes.
- In GSOC land Jamie Nicol has added to Rhythmbox the possibility to scrobble to both Last.fm and Libre.fm, Michal Hruby ported zeitgeist-datahub to Vala, Karlo Jež added a hover menu for quick task manipulation in Getting Things GNOME, and more…
May 16, 2010
This week… 2094 commits, in 204 projects, by 253 happy hackers (and 417 were translation commits).
- Florent Thévenet added support for user preferences to solang, using gsettings.
- libunique and gtkmm have both been ported to GTK+ 3.0.
- Fabio Bonelli removed libbonobo from Galeon, it uses D-Bus now.
- In pygi John Palmieri wrapped the GObject module, making it compatible with both the ancient pygobject attributes and new attributes exposed by introspection.
- Roberto Majadas added initial support for ConsoleKit in nanny.
- The dependency on libgnome-vfs has been removed from f-spot, it now uses GIO.
- The class inheritance graph in anjuta has been switched to use cairo, instead of straight gdk draw.
- Christian Persch ported Evince and GConf to GDBus.
- Fridrich Strba pushed an initial implementation to have evolution as default mail client and mailto handler under Windows.
- Introspection support has been added for the libnautilus-extension library.
- GEdit unique instance mechanism has been switched from bacon to DBus.
- In GNOME Shell Colin Walters implemented the initial application menu.
- Last but not least Matthias Clasen merged GDBus in glib.
May 9, 2010
This week… 2274 commits, in 184 projects, by 262 happy hackers (and 262 were translation commits).
- Guillaume Desmottes and Sjoerd Simons merged their timestamp work into Empathy’s master branch . (GNOME bug 615976)
- Nautilus saw changes in its bookmark API, including the removal of the deprecated gtnome-fs-bookmark* icon names, replaced by the folder icon, and the use of emblems.
- Aleksander Morgado has been improving unicode support of tracker using libicu based word breaking to the parser-libunistring-review branch of tracker.
- Meego improvements got merged into Banshee’s master branch.
- Robert Carr started theming support and improved shapes capabilities in Glide.
- Ekiga got support to work in 16bpp mode . (GNOME bug 611308)
- gedit port to gsettings continued, with many plugins ported already.
- Ross Burton has been working on Randr related improvements of gnome-settings-daemon for Meego. This is happening in the new randr branch of gnome-settings-daemon.
- Yelp got basic printing support, and started being ported to gdbus.
- Matthias Clasen layed ground for new work on GTK+ 3.0 as he made it parallel-installable to 2.x.
- Matthew Barnes went forward replacing CamelObject by GObject in camel, evolution, evolution-data-server, evolution-mapi and evolution-exchange.
Many thanks to Dodji Seketeli who assembled most of this issue.
December 27, 2009
This week… 1776 commits, in 177 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- This was hackfest week for Epiphany, WebKitGTK+ (and other related modules), go and read Xan Lopez and Gustavo Noronha summaries. Or read on for my particular pick…
- Benjamin Otte added support for favicons the the epiphany tabs-reloaded extension.
- Content-Encoding support landed in libsoup (GNOME bug 522772)
- Custom user-agent support has been added.
- There is a new info bar widget at the top of the web view, used to ask if credentials have to be saved.
- Maxim Ermilov added command and path completion to the Alt+F2 dialog of GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 597677)
- Also in GNOME Shell Colin Walters added an extension system, there is no UI yet, it will come later . (GNOME bug 599661)
- Johan Dahlin added a Makefile.introspection file to gobject-introspection, to be used by other projects, and modified pango and gtk+ to use it.
- After some discussion on nautilus-list and gnome-shell-list, Alexander Larsson changed Nautilus to use its browser mode by default.
- The GNOME Terminal preferences dialog got a new “unlimited scrollback” option (GNOME bug 599443).
- After a comment in last week digest edition, Paolo Bacchilega changed File Roller to use AES128 instead of AES256 as encryption type.
- Libgnomekbd got a new GkbdStatus widget implementing a status icon, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote about it in kbd stuff going threezero.
October 11, 2009
This week… 1940 commits, in 179 projects, by 246 happy hackers (and 367 were translation commits).
- Nautilus gained a “copy anyway” option in the error dialog it displays when there is not enough space on the destination . (GNOME bug 324361)
- Richard Hugues probably added Super Cow Powers to gnome-packagekit, carefully hiding this fact in 50 commits with “Moo”, or a slight variation, as commit message.
- Ryan Lortie merged the various dconf* utilities in a single “dconf” tool, also he added API documentation.
- The gtk-2.90 branch was created and saw the removal of many deprecated widgets and functions.
- Devhelp got a new fullscreen mode, mostly thanks to code from gedit.
- In Evolution Matthew Barnes finally got pane size restoration to play nicely with maximised windows . (GNOME bug 593612)
- gok has been migrated to use GtkBuilder instead of libglade . (GNOME bug 582504)
- gvfs has been fixed to display the overwrite dialog when restoring already existing files from trash . (GNOME bug 596618)
- Rhythmbox has been ported to use gnome-session for inhibition support, inhibiting the session to go idle (thus preventing gnome-power-manager from suspending the computer due to inactivity ). (GNOME bug 596573)
- Marina Zhurakhinskaya extented GNOME Shell application search to match on menu categories . (GNOME bug 597153)
October 4, 2009
This week… 2015 commits, in 171 projects, by 239 happy hackers (and 242 were translation commits).
- Robin Sonefors contributed a prime factorization function to gcalctool (GNOME bug 563217).
- Evolution got rid of all the deprecated GTK+ symbols it used (GNOME bug 572348).
- Pascal Terjan ported the Pidgin nautilus-sendto plugin to use Pidgin D-Bus API (GNOME bug 597039).
- GNOME Shell added a calendar pop-down to the clock (GNOME bug 596432).
- Sound Juicer has been converted to use the Inhibit interface from gnome-session (GNOME bug 596570).
- Vinagre got configurable depth support (in the “depth” branch, to be merged once a new gtk-vnc release gets out ). (GNOME bug 485204)
- Thanks to the efficient scrollback store in vte 0.22 Christian Persch added support for unlimited scrollback to gnome-terminal.
- Nautilus gained a checkbox for not assocating a filetype on open with . (GNOME bug 92497)
- Ryan Lortie commited GSettings property binding support and a GValue serialiser into the gsettings glib branch.
- Empathy fixed its handling of fallback HTML files in Adium themes . (GNOME bug 596303)