January 30, 2011
This week… 2386 commits, in 214 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 474 were translation commits).
- The translation support for the future gnome.org, by Lincoln de Sousa and Vinicius Depizzol, have been merged.
- Chris Kühl started working on a GTK+ 3 port for gnome-system-monitor.
- Guido Günther added a control center panel into krb5-auth-dialog.
- Support for temperature conversion has been added to gcalctool by Robert Ancell.
- Jonny Lamb started backporting fixes and features of Empathy in a new 2.34 branch.
- Peter Bloomfield worked on migrating Balsa from GConf to GSettings.
- Detection of a stalemate position has been added to glchess.
- Bastien Nocera added handling of new multimedia keys (FastForward, Rewind, Repeat, and Shuffle) to Totem . (GNOME bug 634184)
- Carlos Garcia Campos added support for external links into Evince . (GNOME bug 628711)
- James Liggett implemented the Aply Mailbox Files pane in the git plugin of Anjuta.
- Jens Georg made item creation asynchronous in the mediathek plugin of Rygel . (GNOME bug 638269)
- Marek Kasik added a new plugin for print notifications in gnome-settings-daemon.
- Ray Strode changed gnome-session to use the shell for presenting the logout and shutdown dialogs . (GNOME bug 637188)
- Owen Taylor started pushing his work on the new “Thumbnails” workspace management of GNOME Shell.
June 27, 2010
This week… 2629 commits, in 209 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 315 were translation commits).
- GSettings ports again, nautilus-sendto, gcalctool were both switched this week to use GSettings. nautilus-sendto has also been ported to GTK+ 3.0, and Rygel as well.
- OpenID support has been added to Snowy, the web companion of Tomboy.
- Daniel P. Berrange added support for colourmap based pixel formats to gtk-vnc, his patch implements full support for rendering from colourmaps, this should improve performances in low bandwidth situations.
- The notification-daemon got support for multiple screens and monitor changes (GNOME bug 622552)
- Christian Persch ported the SVGZ support in librsvg so it can use GZlibDecompressor instead of libgsf . (GNOME bug 621699)
- Damon Chaplin worked quite a lot on a new API for goocanvas, in the new-api branch of goocanvas…
- GNOME Shell got support for icon buttons in notifications, thanks to Matt Novenstern . (GNOME bug 621014)
- Morten Welinder fixed the excessive memory usage of gnumeric related to column styles when reading xslx files . (GNOME bug 622365)
- Michael J. Chudobiak switched the documentation of gthumb to Mallard.
- In Empathy support for importing old Missing Control 4 accounts has been removed.
- Bastien Nocera ported the sound preferences dialog to be a panel in the new control center; and Richard Hughes ported the preferences dialog of GNOME PackageKit.
- The GNOME Panel got support for gobject-introspection, for its panel applet library . (GNOME bug 622341)
- In Vinagre Jonh Wendell implemented the “take screenshot” command for the SSH connections.
- In the land of GSOC students Jamie Nicol finished off the profile view (screenshot), Stéphane Maniaci added some informations about the photos imported from Flickr (titles, descriptions, authors), Michel Hruby started a Totem plugin to allow searching for recent media, and other students were also hard at work.
April 11, 2010
This week… 2112 commits, in 176 projects, by 296 happy hackers (and 263 were translation commits).
- Martin Szulecki added detection of the ipad to gvfs AFC backend (GNOME bug 615039).
- Rhythmbox has been updated to use webkit to display HTML episode descriptions of podcasts . (GNOME bug 320507)
- Flickr authentication code has been unified in gthumb, removing duplicated code.
- In Rygel Andreas Henriksson added basic support for serving subtitles in Samsung custom DIDL-Lite and HTTP extensions . (GNOME bug 606305)
- The Totem Youtube plugin has been fixed to work again with latest youtube.com pages changes . (GNOME bug 614679)
- Tomas Bzatek changed the GTK+ file chooser so that it initializes search engines on demand . (GNOME bug 614971)
- Banshee for Meego saw another major panel UI overhaul, to reflect the latest Meego look and feel, and better organize some of the features.
- Ray Strode added support for relocatable .gnome2 directory to both gnome-games (GNOME bug 613634) and yelp (GNOME bug 614029), this is done via the GNOME22_USER_DIR environment variable.
- Joanmarie Diggs added to Orca support for the detection of mispelled words in OpenOffice.org . (GNOME bug 364772)
- libsoup has been updated with a fix for proxies that close the connection after returning a 407 error code (Proxy Authentication Required) on a CONNECT request.
- Florian Müllner added introspection support to gconf (GNOME bug 613247)
- Philip Withnall improved cancellation support in libgdata, it is now using libsoup message cancellation functionality, rather than checking for cancellation ourselves at arbitrary points during operations.
- GNOME Shell support for IM notifications has been moved to use Telepathy . (GNOME bug 608999)
November 15, 2009
This week… 1612 commits, in 180 projects, by 213 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Banshee was migrated to the Last.fm 2.0 API . (GNOME bug 541227)
- A general search feature has been added to Rygel, including Tracker.
- The GtkNotebook widget got an “action area”, to be used for things like having a single close tab button to the right of all tabs. Johannes Schmid wrote about it in his weblog: GtkNotebook action widgets . (GNOME bug 116650)
- Totem gained an on-screen display when in fullscreen mode, Bastien Nocero announced it in A little OSD . (GNOME bug 600985)
- Simon van der Linden added the possibility to import wrappers from pygi to pygobject.
- The GNOME Shell got presence items added to the status menu . (GNOME bug 601458)
- Behdad Esfahbod reverted a commit to vte, as not clearing the alternate screen caused issues with less.
- Basic Mac OS X integration (menu, dock, bundle) has been pushed to gedit.
- Empathy was fixed to ask for password when joining a protected room (GNOME bug 579341)
- The View Properties dialog of Gnumeric was converted to be instant-apply.
- William Walker added provisional support for GNOME Shell magnifier service to Orca.
March 22, 2009
This week… 2594 commits, in 269 projects, by 223 happy hackers (and 993 were translation commits).
- 2.26 got released on Wednesday, and translators worked hard, a special mention for the Maithili and Assamese teams, that improved their percentages by near 20 points.
- An initial backend support for GDB Variable Objects landed in Nemiver.
- Philippe Rouquier started splitting brasero between backend and application.
- The Mini-Commander applet got support for https URL . (GNOME bug 575782)
- Cosimo Cecchi fixed nautilus to spawn its windows on the correct screen, instead of always using the default one . (GNOME bug 555078)
- Epiphany got support for translucent link-message statusbar, ‘Inspired’ from Chrome, will show the link-message in a translucent floating div on the bottom left corner of the web view if the normal statusbar is hidden.
- Cody Russel improved the GTK+ menu theming on Win32, using the new menu styling API, it makes GTK+ looks much better on Windows Vista . (GNOME bug 538840)
- Rhythmbox will now use the new GtkEntry API for the “clear” icon in its search entry, rather than libsexy’s SexyIconEntry; also GnomeHRef usage has been replaced with GtkLinkButton, that removes the libgnome dependency.
- Also the Rhythmbox Jamendo XML parser got rewritten to create database entries in a single pass, rather than creating an intermediate structure and converting that to database entries. This speeds up catalogue loading and reduces memory consumption . (GNOME bug 424423)
- Rygel got transcoding support, from any format (that GStreamer can handle) to
mp3, LPCM and mpeg transport stream.
- In the Murrine GTK+ engine Andrea Cimitan removed shadows from comboboxentry’s button and welcomes any feedback on this.
- Finally two new modules in Subversion this week: Jordi Mas imported Mistelixa, a DVD authoring tool, and Krzesimir Nowak imported libvtemm, C++ bindings to libvte.
February 22, 2009
This week… 2257 commits, in 200 projects, by 207 happy hackers (and 665 were translation commits).
- Again the translation teams do great in the commits top 10, taking five places; the teams are Basque, Swedish, Romanian, Danish and Finnish (Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio, Daniel Nylander, Jani Monoses and Ilkka Tuohela).
- gtk-doc got the possibility to link to struct members . (GNOME bug 565126)
- The deskbar-applet bookmark search will also look at epiphany topics . (GNOME bug 572291)
- In glib Alexander Larsson modified g_content_type_guess to never sniff desktop files when the filename is known. In other words, only allow desktop files with the .desktop extension and when the filename isn’t known. This is a security precaution since desktop files can execute arbitrary code when launched and we don’t want to allow them to try and hide as another type. There is no legit reason to not have the .desktop extension anyway. (the .desktop issue is also being discussed in desktop-devel-list)
- Tracker got support for IPTC metadata in jpeg and tiff files.
- Sven Neumann gave some love to the GTK+ directfb support, applying some patches, fixing some issues.
- Epiphany has a new option to open new windows in tabs (only available as a gconf key for now ). (GNOME bug 571593)
- Christian Persch killed the custom OBox widget from gnome-panel as GtkBox now supports changing the orientation.
- The balance bar in the new volume control will now instant-apply . (GNOME bug 566423)
- Metacity got totally rid of metacity-dialog, and will now use zenity to present dialogs . (GNOME bug 521914)
- Vinagre got updated to allow IPv6 address on the command line and in the connection dialog.
- Rygel is getting ready for a new release, several changes here, notably the response for seekable media request is now sent buffer by buffer so the whole file is not put into memory.
- And finally, a pythonconsole plugin, based on the gedit plugin, landed in eog.
November 2, 2008
This week… 1368 commits, in 151 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
Gimp merged the Google Summer of Code project of Daniel Eddeland that added on-canvas text-editing. Rhythmbox gaired a new iPod properties dialog (with disk usage and such stuff). NetworkManager code was cleaned up adding and using accessors to various settings. Libgnome/ui got killed this week in libgames-support (and that finally makes gnome-games libgnome free) (by Thomas H.P. Andersen), goffice (by Jean Brefort) and gnome-settings-daemon (by Jens Granseuer). Brasero has been proposed for inclusion in 2.26 and continues to see a steady flow of bug fixes. Owen Taylor commited a little bit of gnome-shell code into Subversion and posted some notes. Zeeshan Ali moved gnome-media-server to Subversion under a new name, Rygel.