February 13, 2011
This week… 2038 commits, in 188 projects, by 238 happy hackers (and 359 were translation commits).
- Saleem Abdulrasool added support for magic-based identification of files in file-roller.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro changed gtksourceview to use a different draw for narrowed non breaking spaces . (GNOME bug 626126)
- Also in gtksourceview the M4 syntax highlighting was updated for all current Autoconf-and-friends macros, by Philip Chimento.
- Xan Lopez ported Epiphany floating statusbar to use the new overlay widget from gedit.
- Shaun McCance removed the bookmarks editor dialog from Yelp, instead it’s now possible to mark and unmark bookmarked pages with an icon in the location entry.
- In pygobject Martin Pitt made Gio.Settings behave like a dictionary, with transparent conversion from and to GVariants, this makes it more comfortable to use . (GNOME bug 640838)
- Chris Kühl continued on his port of GNOME System Monitor to GTK+ 3, switching libraries after a lot of cleanup work.
- Giovanni Campagna made GNOME Shell extensions translatable.
- Christian Persch made possible to postpone Dr Wright break immediately . (GNOME bug 621640)
- Michal Hruby added a zeitgeist dataprovider plugin to Totem.
- Paolo Bacchilega added the ability to search and filter files with a single tag in gthumb . (GNOME bug 633884)
- Several rhythmbox plugins were ported to use GObject Introspection by Jonathan Matthew.
- In the region control center panel Sergey V. Udaltsov made layout filtering much faster.
- Florian Müllner updated the shell app view to use larger icons, to match the mockups . (GNOME bug 639428)
January 30, 2011
This week… 2386 commits, in 214 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 474 were translation commits).
- The translation support for the future gnome.org, by Lincoln de Sousa and Vinicius Depizzol, have been merged.
- Chris Kühl started working on a GTK+ 3 port for gnome-system-monitor.
- Guido Günther added a control center panel into krb5-auth-dialog.
- Support for temperature conversion has been added to gcalctool by Robert Ancell.
- Jonny Lamb started backporting fixes and features of Empathy in a new 2.34 branch.
- Peter Bloomfield worked on migrating Balsa from GConf to GSettings.
- Detection of a stalemate position has been added to glchess.
- Bastien Nocera added handling of new multimedia keys (FastForward, Rewind, Repeat, and Shuffle) to Totem . (GNOME bug 634184)
- Carlos Garcia Campos added support for external links into Evince . (GNOME bug 628711)
- James Liggett implemented the Aply Mailbox Files pane in the git plugin of Anjuta.
- Jens Georg made item creation asynchronous in the mediathek plugin of Rygel . (GNOME bug 638269)
- Marek Kasik added a new plugin for print notifications in gnome-settings-daemon.
- Ray Strode changed gnome-session to use the shell for presenting the logout and shutdown dialogs . (GNOME bug 637188)
- Owen Taylor started pushing his work on the new “Thumbnails” workspace management of GNOME Shell.
January 16, 2011
This week… 2282 commits, in 191 projects, by 251 happy hackers (and 480 were translation commits).
- Giovanni Campagni created a gnome-shell-extensions repository, to host extensions modifying and extending GNOME Shell functionality and behavior, at the moment there are two extensions: alternate-tab (a replacement for Alt-Tab, allows to cycle between windows and does not group by application), and xandr-indicator (a systems status menu for rotating monitors)
- Andreas J. Guelzow fixed locale specific sotring in Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 638874)
- Philip Withnall had to limit Totem to displaying videos in the formats authorized by YouTube’s terms of service, Bastien Nocera had a blog post about this, YouTube playback will suck again.
- Paolo Bacchilega modified file-roller to use the new GTK+ app chooser dialog for the “Open With” command.
- Robert Ancell added a “set to default” button to dconf-editor.
- The Vala rewrite of glchess has been merged in gnome-games.
- In gnome-utils Cosimo Cecchi ported both the screenshot tool and the log viewer to GSettings.
- A keyboard layout selector has been added to the Shell, the indicator is shown when more than one group is loaded in X and it is not disabled in GSettings . (GNOME bug 600771)
- Jon McCann added some real informations to the new system info panel of gnome-control-center.
- Lucas Rocha added the ability to move multiple things at once in the board.
- The gedit-collaboration plugin has been updated to use the new asynchronous SASL API for authentication, by Jesse van den Kieboom.
- Luciana Fujii changed Cheese to use camerabin as pipeline base, in the “camerabin” branch.
- In Yelp Rupert Swarbrick added code to make links from strings of the form “blah(2)” in man pages.
- Philip Withnall improved the Google backend for contacts in evolution-data-server, to support categorising contacts in groups . (GNOME bug 566441)
- Tiffany Antopolski continued adding and filling pages for the new GNOME documentation, with a serie of pages about window managements in the Shell.
December 5, 2010
This week… 2430 commits, in 174 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 194 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to hide its slider when streaming, to avoid people getting confused by the slider getting stuck in one location . (GNOME bug 549691)
- Dots (an interactive braille transcribing application) got support for Microsoft Word files.
- Robert Ancell made gnobots2 and gnomine from gnome-games work with GTK+3 and Cairo.
- Ray Strode added a new “maximized” tile to mutter, it allows the user to maximize their windows (in other words, tile with the edge panels) by dragging their window to the top edge of the monitor . (GNOME bug 630548)
- Paolo Borelli added support for gunichar to pygobject . (GNOME bug 623615)
- Francisco Rojas patched postr to throw an error if an image disappears during the upload process . (GNOME bug 537554)
- The overview relayout branch landed in GNOME Shell, as noted by Florian Müllner in a quick notice.
- Aleksander Morgado ported devhelp to the new new GApplication API.
- Evolution-data-server was changed to set CalDAV calendars read-only when the server is unreachable . (GNOME bug 530205)
- Paolo Bacchilega added a D-Bus service to file-roller to create and extract archives.
- Cosimo Cecchi ported the control center media panel to use the new GtkAppChooserButton.
- The Board got a simple mechanism to export object via HTTP.
- In gnome-session Vincent Untz moved the definition of a session from gconf to .desktop-like files.
- Nate Stedman started a new text system for ease, to provide a more featured replacement of ClutterText.
- The gtk-style-context branch of GTK+ landed, Carlos Garnacho uploaded some documentation, thmingTheming in GTK+, and Migrating from GtkStyle to GtkStyleContext.
- And thanks to the doc dev tools hackfest, demos and tutorials were commited to gnome-devel-docs, improved Mallard support landed in library-web, and the week ended with some mysterious content landing in the web-devel-2 module…
October 31, 2010
This week… 2425 commits, in 224 projects, by 227 happy hackers (and 516 were translation commits).
- Shaun McCance merged the new desktop help that was being written in a Gitorious repository by Phil Bull and others into the gnome-user-docs module.
- Daniel P. Berrange removed the server side framebuffer cached in a GdkPixmap in gtk-vnc, as the client side was changed to use a cairo image surface.
- Giovanni Campagna completed a library for exposing required parts of gnome-bluetooth to GNOME Shell.
- Totem has been ported to the new GApplication API.
- Some initial Mallard pages have been added by Mario Blätterman to pybibliographer.
- Gabriel Burt updated banshee to show episodes in a grid view.
- Viven Malerba optimized virtual tables usage in libgda.
- Jim Evins added support for elliptical labels to the template designer in glabels.
- Support for monotonic time has been added to glib by Ryan Lortie. He also commited (untested) support for GApplication actions.
- In notification-daemon Jon McCann added a notification box class that updates in place . (GNOME bug 633457)
September 5, 2010
This week… 2545 commits, in 212 projects, by 256 happy hackers (and 731 were translation commits).
- Eitan Isaacson added a checkbox to use the default colour theme when highlighring keys in Caribou . (GNOME bug 622246)
- Joanmarie Diggs added support for object toolkis in Orca, this allows Orco to handle cases where multiple toolkits are used in an application . (GNOME bug 628410)
- Philip Withnall merged his port of Totem to GSettings . (GNOME bug 625896)
- Gabriel Burt pushed a first pass at Bookmarks support for pdfmod, this adds a sidebar treeview that shows the existing bookmarks, and it’s possible to edit or remove them, as well as adding new bookmarks.
- Colin Walters merged his major rewrite of girscanner, and more, in gobject-introspection.
- Support for multi-coloured text layers has been added to Gimp by Michael Natterer, on top of an initial patch by Barak Itkin . (GNOME bug 620674)
- Florian Müllner added support for the text-shadow property in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 624384)
- Support for the MPRIS v2 API has been added to Banshee, this will allow external applications to interact with Banshee through a standard D-Bus API . (GNOME bug 570841)
- Jonh Wendell added an instant messaging status plugin to Vinagre, that changes the status to busy when the application is switched to full screen mode.
- A backend using the Windows Registry has been added by Sam Thursfield to GSettings.
- Benjamin Otte updated the screenshot tool from gnome-utils to not draw directly to the root window anymore, updating the look of area selection along the way . (GNOME bug 628499)
August 15, 2010
This week… 2933 commits, in 162 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 368 were translation commits).
- Emmanuele Bassi added JsonReader, a simple, cursor-based API for parsing a JSON DOM, to json-glib.
- Christian Persch created a gdbus branch of gconf, porting it to gdbus; in the same vein David Zeuthen ported PolicyKit-gnome from dbus-glib to gdbus.
- As for GDK changes, Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen started porting gnome-games, Benjamin Otte pushed a cairo-port branch onto gnome-mag, and ported parts of Nautilus, and The Gimp continued being ported to Cairo by Michael Natterer.
- Empathy has been changed by Bilal Akhtar to use GimpNet as default IRC network . (GNOME bug 625675)
- Martin Pitt ported gdm to UPower . (GNOME bug 626176)
- An initial implementation of the “background” panel has been pushed to gnome-control-center.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added exporting of images to ODF in Gnumeric.
- Preview comments have been added to most of the effects provided by gnome-video-effects (now used by Cheese).
- A new “Shuffle” action has been added on the Banshee play queue.
- Ryan Lortie added signals to GApplication, they are: startup, activate, open, action, and command-line.
- Support for common licenses has been added to GTK+, this introduces a :license-type property . (GNOME bug 336225)
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen beefed up the GTK 2 -> 3 migration guide, including a first cut at documenting the rendering cleanup changes and the region removal.
- For their last week of Summer of Code, Dena Dragos added a basic import/export feature to Anjuta snippets, Adrien Bustany added a function to load resources filtering on their attributes to his tracker ORM, Alexander Saprykin got his chapters plugin merged in Totem (GNOME bug 622779), and more.
July 25, 2010
This week… 2276 commits, in 205 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 504 were translation commits).
- Handling of contacts in Empathy has been switched to use libfolks, this will enable future enhanchements, such as support for metacontacts . (GNOME bug 623714)
- Carlos Garcia Campos ported the byzanz applet to use the new D-Bus based panel applet library.
- Gtk-vnc has switched over to use GIO for socket connections and DNS resolution.
- Giovanni Campagna contributed a base API for system status indicators in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 621705)
- James Liggett implemented a tags pane in the Anjuta git plugin.
- In the ongoing transitions, Nautilus has been ported to GSettings, Eog has been switched to GTK+ 3, and accounts-dialog is being ported to gdbus.
- Preliminary support for adding new annotations (at the moment only Text annotations are supported) has been added to Evince . (GNOME bug 168304)
- Toms Bauģis changed hamster search to use SQLite full text search.
- David Pellicer contributed a few more keyboard layouts to Caribou.
- The function name completion tooltips used in Gnumeric have been improved by Andreas J. Guelzow.
- Evolution-rss default renderer has been switched to be WebKit.
- Nate Stedman merged his branch adding suport for themes in Ease.
- Benjamin Otte continued stripping GTK+ of old GDK drawing functions and classes (GdkPangoRenderer, GdkGC…).
- Richard Hughes split off a new libcolor-glib library out of gnome-color-manager.
- Totem youtube plugin has been updated to work after the latest Youtube page format changes.
- In GSOC land Jamie Nicol has added to Rhythmbox the possibility to scrobble to both Last.fm and Libre.fm, Michal Hruby ported zeitgeist-datahub to Vala, Karlo Jež added a hover menu for quick task manipulation in Getting Things GNOME, and more…
July 4, 2010
This week… 2192 commits, in 173 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Jim Evins added native support for SVG images to glabels.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro continued porting gedit plugins to libpeas, and Philip Withnall ported totem plugins.
- The possibility to edit metadata of many images is now possible again in gthumb (GNOME bug 618187)
- Ryan Lortie added a GSettings port of Cheese, in the gsettings branch.
- Vinagre got support for RDP connections, wrapping the rdesktop program . (GNOME bug 503456)
- Matthias Clasen added bash completion support for gsettings.
- Nate Stedman added possiblity for the user to insert images into ease.
- Support for OSSv4 and SunAudio has been added to gstreamer-properties . (GNOME bug 618402)
- Shaun McCance finished the transition to GDBus of yelp.
- In the various Summer of Code Jamie Nicol has been making progress on Last.fm radio playback in rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi finished the first version of a Launchpad backend for Getting Things GNOME, etc.
June 27, 2010
This week… 2629 commits, in 209 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 315 were translation commits).
- GSettings ports again, nautilus-sendto, gcalctool were both switched this week to use GSettings. nautilus-sendto has also been ported to GTK+ 3.0, and Rygel as well.
- OpenID support has been added to Snowy, the web companion of Tomboy.
- Daniel P. Berrange added support for colourmap based pixel formats to gtk-vnc, his patch implements full support for rendering from colourmaps, this should improve performances in low bandwidth situations.
- The notification-daemon got support for multiple screens and monitor changes (GNOME bug 622552)
- Christian Persch ported the SVGZ support in librsvg so it can use GZlibDecompressor instead of libgsf . (GNOME bug 621699)
- Damon Chaplin worked quite a lot on a new API for goocanvas, in the new-api branch of goocanvas…
- GNOME Shell got support for icon buttons in notifications, thanks to Matt Novenstern . (GNOME bug 621014)
- Morten Welinder fixed the excessive memory usage of gnumeric related to column styles when reading xslx files . (GNOME bug 622365)
- Michael J. Chudobiak switched the documentation of gthumb to Mallard.
- In Empathy support for importing old Missing Control 4 accounts has been removed.
- Bastien Nocera ported the sound preferences dialog to be a panel in the new control center; and Richard Hughes ported the preferences dialog of GNOME PackageKit.
- The GNOME Panel got support for gobject-introspection, for its panel applet library . (GNOME bug 622341)
- In Vinagre Jonh Wendell implemented the “take screenshot” command for the SSH connections.
- In the land of GSOC students Jamie Nicol finished off the profile view (screenshot), Stéphane Maniaci added some informations about the photos imported from Flickr (titles, descriptions, authors), Michel Hruby started a Totem plugin to allow searching for recent media, and other students were also hard at work.