icanhasedit?

1 part federico + 1 part marnanel-musings + 1 part tango experiment + a couple of hours

= icanhasedit.py (very rough concept)

also in git at git.desrt.ca (git-clone git://git.desrt.ca/icanhasedit).

for best effect, set it as the default application for opening text files.

be warned: its saving is non-atomic.

11 Comments

1. eosten
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I want to see this in a photo viewer.

2. Richard
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Hi.

So I does has edit right now, and it’s pretty pretty and Good. I also enjoy very much how the chrome is translucent while using the metacity compositor. (/apps/metacity/compositing_manager is beautiful gconfery.)

3. Anonymous
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 7:55 am | Permalink

So does that mean the idea of shading windows is now gone?

4. Posted August 11, 2008 at 9:05 am | Permalink

KTHXBYE :/

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “icanhasedit.py”, line 351, in
    d = Document (sys.argv[1])
    File “icanhasedit.py”, line 325, in __init__
    FrameWindow.__init__ (self)
    File “icanhasedit.py”, line 65, in __init__
    self.set_colormap (self.get_screen ().get_rgba_colormap ())
    TypeError: GtkWidget.set_colormap() argument 1 must be gtk.gdk.Colormap, not None

5. Posted August 11, 2008 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Love it! I suggest adding some padding to the text area.

6. Posted August 11, 2008 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Yes but now it needs to translate every file it loads into lol speak

7. Rob Taylor
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I get some strange redraw issues when resizing, other than that, v.cool POC :)

8. Posted August 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Let me be the first to say: Ooooh, shiny.

Anonymous: I think you’ve come in halfway through a conversation here. The discussion is about whether GTK should be responsible for decorating window frames, or whether Metacity should. If GTK was in charge of doing so, there’s no reason it shouldn’t support everything Metacity currently supports.

9. desrt
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Stefan: enable Composite already :p

10. Posted August 11, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Woo, my pet peeve: make gtk+ draw decorations already! I did a C proto-type a couple of years ago, it’s over here:

and I wrote down a list of pros and cons of the approach here:

As we start to do more animations and advanced theming, splitting the visual appearance of a window between two independent apps doesn’t work. Yes, we *could* defined wm protocols and window properties out the wazoo to cover entry fields in the title bar, side panes sliding out from the side of the window, but the fast path to these features is to move the decorations to gtk+.

11. Rui
    Posted August 12, 2008 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

W00t!? One my greatest itches on free desktops being itched!

Way to go people!

One Trackback

1. […] Update: See desrt’s mockup inspired in part by this entry. This entry was written by Thomas Thurman, posted on August 10, 2008 at 12:44 am, filed under Policy, Themes. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Reminding us Branch for stable 2.24 » […]