Good Intentions/2

gtk+: I’ve been working again on the RecentManager and in trunk you’ll see some new stuff, namely:

• use GIO to determine the MIME type of a URI, on every platform supported
  • use the file monitoring API to avoid polling the storage file
  • add a GtkSettings property for clamping the recently used resources list to a 30 days limit

more stuff I’d like to add is:

• small parser changes to GBookmarkFile, to reflect changes in the spec
  • bulk addition, for applications storing multiple items when quitting
  • new API needed to follow the usability review in bug 349541
  • moving the RecentItem icon code to GIO, and add API to extract the thumbnail

twitter: I’ve been using Twitter a lot in the past two weeks; it’s nice, it makes it easier to copy and paste a quote or a thought, and the 160 characters limit is an interesting challenge. As it’s been ages since I last wrote an application1, I decided to start writing a Twitter reader/writer — using GTK+, Clutter and Tidy; without much thinking, I opened gvim and started writing code in C2 — so, the obvious thing that happened was that I ended up writing a library yet again in order to use Twitter’s web API. luckily for me, libsoup has now a really nice API to work with; all you need is GET and POST to their RESTful API, retrieve the result, parse it through JSON-GLib, hide everything inside a new GObject and you have a wrapper around a web service. the application, you say? oh, I was sure I forgot something. well, it’s coming along — it just needs some work still.

1. lately all I’ve been doing was writing libraries []
  2. hey, that’s what I do for a living, it’s hard to switch off; plus, I could reuse some of the platform libraries []
This entry was posted in C, clutter, crack, developer, glib, GNOME, gtk, Hacking, json-glib. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Good Intentions/2

1. iain says:

SCREENSHOTS!!!!!!
    SCREENSHOTSSSSS”!!!!!!
    SCREENSHOTS!!!!!!!!!
    ITS 1AM AND I’M WIRED ON CAFFEINE
    AND I WANT SCREENSHOTS!!!!!!

2. Luigi says:

Requested ‘clutter-0.6 >= 0.6.2′ but version of Clutter is 0.6.0
    No package ‘tidy-1.0′ found

Are there some debs somewhere?

3. ebassi says:

clutter 0.6.2 has been packaged and will hit unstable soon (or it did already, I’m not sure); clutter packages are usually on debian.o-hand.com (see the link) as soon as Ross or Rob do them.

tidy has not been packaged because it’s not meant to be packaged; it can be checked out from svn using:

svn co http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/tidy/trunk tidy

4. Luigi says:

Thanks.
    Probably you mean: http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/tidy/trunk/

I had to change libsoup version
    m4_define([soup_req_version], [2.4.1])

$ tweet
    ** (tweet:11589): WARNING **: Unable to retrieve status from Twitter: Unauthorized

5. danw says:

> luckily for me, libsoup has now a really nice API to work with

And you didn’t even notice the soup_form_* methods… :-)

6. ebassi says:

@luigi: yes, that repo.

and the libsoup requirement was there for a reason (the auth code changed). so, no: you really need libsoup trunk.

easy solution: jhbuild with the gnome-2.24 moduleset and tidy froms vn.

7. ebassi says:

@luigi: you’ll also need a $HOME/.config/tweet/tweet.json file containing username and password

didn’t I write that this is highly experimental stuff that requires load of work and should not be used?

8. ebassi says:

@danw: thanks for the tip! I didn’t even use SoupDate – though I plan to :-)

Comments are closed.