Archive for December, 2009

Stormy’s Update: Week of December 14th

Monday, December 21st, 2009

Pinged some people to help with GUADEC by mentoring or creating timelines.

Had a great conversation with Sara Crouse from Wikimedia about how they find, apply and manage grants, like ones from the Hewlett Foundation and the Ford Foundation. Looking forward to implementing some of that at the GNOME Foundation.

Spent an inordinate amount of time and energy on the threads that started on the Foundation list and the side conversations that came out of it. Assuming that even a fraction of the people involved spent that much time and energy, we need to figure out a more effective way to have those conversations. Obviously we could use some more self moderating earlier in the thread. Perhaps other forums, like the all hands IRC meeting we discussed in the past could also help.

Took some time off to deal with a personal crisis. (And no, it wasn’t Christmas shopping – I haven’t done that yet!)

Provided a quote for OpenDesktop.org and OpenSuSE build press release.

Pushed a number of things and projects along from missing payments to projects with no activity to potential partnerships. Hopefully they’ll all be moving forward soon and I’ll be able to report on their success.

Posted a couple of blog posts. I really hope GNOME is able to set an example for how free software projects can transition to the web services world. And I think we all need to keep not copyright law in mind, but the fact that we are representing GNOME in public in mind as we post to public forums. Quite a few press folks and journalists picked up on the Foundation list threads and we certainly didn’t look like we were following our own Code of Conduct.

Had a really good weekend with the family.

Stormy’s Update: Week of December 7th

Monday, December 14th, 2009

Answered a lot of emails and had a lot of discussions. As for things I actually crossed off my todo list:

  • Updated CiviCRM requirements document with a few more process like the travel committee. Met with Dave Greenberg from CiviCRM. He gave me a lot of pointers on how to get started. I’ll be working on getting CiviCRM set up for the GNOME Foundation over the next couple of weeks.
  • Sent out email about the GNOME Foundation changing advisory board fees with the support of the advisory board.
  • Spoke to the Northern Colorado Linux User Group. Gave my “Would you do it again for free?” talk and had a very interesting and involved discussion. Someone from the first team I ever worked on at HP held up a “I heart ObAM” sign. ObAM is the user interface programming interface for HPUX tools. It sat on top of Motif when I first joined the team. (I actually had to read the sign twice to see that it said ObAM and not Obama which is a sign of how my world of acronyms and names has changed.)
  • Did all my expense reports for the last three trips. (I can’t believe people griped about the semi-automated HP/Amex system. I personally would love to have it now.)
  • Attended GNOME Board of Directors meeting.
  • Worked with Rosanna to invoice a couple of advisory board members, including one that is funding a new¬† program.
  • Had a meeting with Rosanna over IRC. Trying to help balance out her workload. (I’ve created a lot more work. Since I’ve joined we’ve had a lot more events, invoicing, new programs, more Friends of GNOME, etc.)
  • Had a great GNOME Advisory Board meeting about events and copyright assignments. The copyright assignment discussion in particular was very dynamic.
  • Published November Friends of GNOME data.

Focus for this week:

  • My goals. Finishing a draft we can share so everyone can comment.
  • CiviCRM. Getting it set up. Starting first with Board of Advisors information and then Friends of GNOME.

Stormy’s Update: Week of November 30th

Monday, December 7th, 2009

LiMo Foundation. Met with Andrew Savory, Mal Minhas and Gyanee Dewnarain at the LiMo London offices. We talked about LiMo, GNOME Mobile, the work LiMo member companies are doing with GNOME technologies, our foundations and how we can work more closely together. Good conversations and I expect we’ll continue to work together and hopefully announce more later.

Canonical design, user experience and usability team. Met with Charline Poirier, Ivanka Majic and Iain Farrell at their London offices. Talked about usability studies on GNOME technologies, a GNOME usability hackfest and studying how to disseminate usability study results into free and open source software community. I’ll be introducing more GNOME folks into the conversation and hopefully the conversations will make their way to the GNOME usability list and into some concrete plans to get more GNOME usability info into the hands of folks working on GNOME.

Met with Lucas Rocha for lunch to discuss GNOME stuff and then had a quick peek at a Litl webbook! It’s a very elegantly designed device. While the software is of course great (it’s designed by great people using some terrific free and open source software technologies :) what really struck me was the hardware. The keyboard is very “clean” and easy to use without lots of random extra keys and when you swing the screen all the way around to set it up like a picture frame, it feels very sturdy. It was fun to see.

OSS Watch. Went out to Oxford to meet the OSS Watch team and participate in the OSS Watch advisory board meeting. (This was the reason for my trip to the UK.) OSS Watch is helping educational institutions in the UK use open source software. Or help them to the next step in their plans, like building community around the projects they’ve developed. Lots of interesting discussions. (And some great but brief sightseeing.)

Invited GNOME event planners to GNOME Advisory Board meeting next Tuesday which will be about events and copyright assignments.

One on one meeting with Brian Cameron to talk about status. Brian will be sharing my past year’s goals and achievements as the board of directors determined them. I’ll be sharing my next year’s goals as part of the process of figuring out what they should be.

Did an interview about Women in Linux with Anton Borisov who is writing for Linux+DVD magazine

The US event box is going to be maintained by Larry Cafiero. (Thanks to Zonker for nominating Larry.) We’ve been looking for a west coast home for the event box and so I’m excited Larry will be helping us out.

Emailed press, journalist and blogger contacts about our GUADEC 2010 announcement on Monday.

Spent approximately 40 hours travelling. Not counting all the trains in London.