Here are some things I’ve been up to recently:
- I talked to journalists. You can see my post here about some of the latest stuff. My interview with NTN24 was hilarious. There was a terrible connection for the transmission for my earpiece and I could only make out a few words of the questions. So I just answered what I thought they were asking! I think it worked out in the end. Hopefully more of these interviews and stories will get published soon.
- I attended the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, where I gave a talk about trademarks, mostly from the perspective of being at GNOME. It was a fun talk to give, and a little different from my previous legal talks in that it was very much informed by my perspective of being Executive Director of GNOME. The slides are available on the Linux Foundation’s website. I also had a chance to catch up with a lot of different GNOME folks, and attended Juan José Sánchez Penas’ talk GNOME: Beyond the Traditional Desktop (Or How GNOME Can Help Those Building Linux Platforms for Mobile Devices) which was a great talk that featured a lot of the cool work that Igalia is doing. It was also great to catch up with Keith Packard, who filled me in on some stuff regarding Wayland that I hadn’t known. There were many others who were fantastic to see too. Thanks to the Linux Foundation for sponsoring my travel.
- While in San Francisco, I visited the nice folks at Zareason, who helped me with a few problems I was having with my laptop. It was great to see their offices and emerge with a problem free computer. At the end of my trip, I swung by the Electronic Frontier Foundation on my way to the airport. There are a number of ways I think that EFF and GNOME can work together, so I’m really excited about that.
- I participated in organizational meetings for GNOME.Asia. The organizing team is doing a great job! Check out the Call for Papers and submit yours soon (the deadline is approaching).
- I helped Marina with some of the fundraising and logistics for the Outreach Program for Women. The applicants are again very very strong!
- I recorded another oggcast with Bradley. This episode includes a talk from FOSDEM by the charming Michael Meeks, who talks about copyright assignment. I think it’s a pretty interesting talk.
- I did a bunch of housekeeping, like catching up on email, handled a couple of trademark inquiries, etc.
- I emailed potential keynoters for GUADEC. I’ve gotten a preliminary response from one of them that’s pretty exciting. Stay tuned!