GLib 2.22 is a stable release adding an incremental improvement in functionality over GLib 2.20 while maintaining binary and source compatibility.
Major new features include:
- GArray, GPtrArray, GByteArray, GTree and GMappedFile can be reference counted.
- GLib can be forced to reload the XDG user directory mapping.
- The GLib mainloop supports per-thread default contexts.
- GIO now provides types and methods for IP addresses and UNIX domain socket addresses.
- GResolver provides asynchronous and cancellable APIs for resolving hostnames, reverse lookup of IP addresses and resolving SRV records.
- Support for network IO has been added to GIO, including low-level socket API and high-level API for network connections and services.
- GIOStream and its subclasses have gained support for read-write access.
- GIO supports starting and stopping of drives, which can be used in connection with external hard disk enclosures, disk arrays, iSCSI devices, etc.
- GIO supports user interaction during unmount and eject operations.
- GIO can store and retrieve per-file metadata.