Impossible Triangle Sculpture

Saw this interesting sculpture while cycling through East Perth:

Of course, it can only be appreciated when standing in a particular location (Here is what it looks like from another angle). I wonder how many people pass it and don’t realise what it is or how you are meant to look at it?

Update: the sculpture can be seen on Google Maps in the centre of the round about. You can clearly see the arms of the triangle going off in different directions.

6 Comments

1. Martin Sevior
    Posted 18 September, 2006 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Way cool James!

The view from the other locations shows how you’d need a 4th dimension to close the triangle in 3-D :-)

2. Tor Lillqvist
    Posted 18 September, 2006 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Odd that they didn’t choose the orientation so that when viewed from the “right” location, there would be a less distracting background… (Or does it look differently when viewed by eye?)

3. Posted 18 September, 2006 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Tor: the sculpture is in the middle of the round about seen here:

I took the photos from the park just south of the round about. While you’d get a nicer view if the sculpture was rotated 180°, you’d only be able to appreciate it when standing by the side of the road.

4. Tim Denholm
    Posted 18 September, 2006 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I saw that sculpture when I was in Perth last and thought nothing of it. Now I know what it is, thanks James!

5. Posted 18 September, 2006 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

I love that thing.

6. Jamie
    Posted 15 November, 2006 at 2:45 am | Permalink

I think the original sculpture is in Escher’s home town of Eindhoven (Netherlands. They’ve put it on the central reservation of a dual carriageway and I nearly crashed my car as I drove towards it in disbelief ;-)