git sucks

$ git commig -a
git: 'commig' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
	commit

It knows what I want to do and yet it makes me spell it correctly, just to spite me.

30 Comments

1. Simon
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 4:21 am | Permalink | Reply

On the contrary – it knows what it *thinks* you want to do. And as far as I’m concerned, absolutely the worst thing a computer can do is to try to be helpful and get it wrong. If it can tell I’ve made a mistake, that’s good. But if it thinks it knows what I want to do, I *never* want it to just go ahead and do it. Never, never, never.

2. Posted March 5, 2009 at 4:22 am | Permalink | Reply

I sincerely hope you’re joking. It would be a Very Bad Thing for tools to guess at what commands we meant to type and perform those actions.

Luckily, after thinking about it, I’m pretty certain you’re joking.

Sarcasm on the internet is hard, let’s go shopping.

3. Posted March 5, 2009 at 4:43 am | Permalink | Reply

oh, dear. I debated whether to put an obvious sarcasm disclaimer on this post, but decided it would be obvious. apparently not.

4. trey
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 5:08 am | Permalink | Reply

I just unsubscribed from planet.gnome.org thanks to you. I don’t wish to read something this stupid again.

5. Posted March 5, 2009 at 5:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Well played, sir, well played.

6. Posted March 5, 2009 at 5:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Probably the cause of people thinking you are serious is the fact that there have been some similar posts about git on planet gnome and planet ubuntu recently, featuring the exact same title?

7. Posted March 5, 2009 at 5:57 am | Permalink | Reply

Indeed when there is a single choice, it should ask “Did you mean ‘commit’ (y/N)” — this gives the best solution : it would have both guessed and made sure it really got what you meant.

8. fct
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 7:31 am | Permalink | Reply

It *IS* obvious.

9. Michael Hofmann
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 7:41 am | Permalink | Reply

maybe “man git-config” can help to convince you that git is not inherently evil:

help.autocorrect
    Automatically correct and execute mistyped commands after waiting for the given number of deciseconds (0.1 sec). If more than one command can be deduced from the entered text, nothing will be executed. If the value of this option is negative, the corrected command will be executed immediately. If the value is 0 – the command will be just shown but not executed. This is the default.

10. Pieter
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 8:04 am | Permalink | Reply

help.autocorrect
    just shown but not executed. This is the default.

11. Mac
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 8:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Heh. But it actually works:

$ git config –global help.autocorrect 1
    $ git commig
    WARNING: You called a Git program named ‘commig’, which does not exist.
    Continuing under the assumption that you meant ‘commit’
    in 0.1 seconds automatically…
    […]

12. Posted March 5, 2009 at 8:19 am | Permalink | Reply

I was obvious for me, but it could be because I’m a swede. We’re known for our sarcasm.

13. Gawain
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 8:42 am | Permalink | Reply

When I saw the title in my feed I thought “oh no, here goes another Canonical employee…”.

When I read the meaty bit, I laughed… hard!

Nice retort to the rants, IMHO.

14. Xake
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 9:32 am | Permalink | Reply

With the resent flamewars where people have had worse comments as arguments (yeah, I have seen the “this tool does not read thoughts and therefore sucks – unlike mine that does not read toughts but for which I RTFM”-posts written totally serious) there really should be a sarcasm tag, since on the net it has become hard to tell if people are joking or just plain idiots.

15. Andreas
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

It still has the worst usability (and documentation!) of the new wave of DVCS.

16. Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:54 am | Permalink | Reply

Poor poor jonner. Next time make a big ps with SARCASM in it. Some people don’t get it it seems :D.

17. Robin
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:11 am | Permalink | Reply

There’s a config option to make it do what you wanted to do :)

help.autocorrect

18. anon
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:16 am | Permalink | Reply

lol

19. Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink | Reply

the sarcasm was clear

git help config

help.autocorrect
    Automatically correct and execute mistyped commands after waiting
    for the given number of deciseconds (0.1 sec). If more than one
    command can be deduced from the entered text, nothing will be
    executed. If the value of this option is negative, the corrected
    command will be executed immediately. If the value is 0 – the
    command will be just shown but not executed. This is the default.

20. Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:34 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m starting to love the “git sucks”, “no bzr sucks”, “no bzr rocks” post series, they’re almost as funny as xkcd :D

21. Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Sarcasm on the Internet is *never* obvious enough, you have to explicit state it. Otherwise, there will always be people who believes you to be completely serious.

22. Posted March 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wow, I thought this post was pretty funny – I thought there might be some flaming in the comments, but really wasn’t expecting to see people taking it so serious!

23. Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thought it was funny. With a disclaimer, it wouldn’t have been nearly as funny, so please don’t do that. :-)

24. Brent
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thought it was funny.

25. Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

That’s pretty good.

’till their help pages start blabbing about references, objects, deltas and nothing that you know.

26. Posted March 5, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

they’re almost as funny as xkcd

They’re only funny about 20% of the time nowadays, and 90% of the people commenting on them don’t actually understand them. So pretty much a perfect analogy for xkcd.

– Chris

27. Simon
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unless your sarcasm was so completely over the top that nobody could mistake it for anything else, then yes, you did need some kind of disclaimer. You might have been joking, but your post was quite indistinguishable from a great many entirely serious complaints – indeed, is quite innocuous compared to some of the other stupid rants I’ve seen of late.

28. Another Simon
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Your post was funny! Including sarcasm disclaimer spoils the funny! This is well known! So, good job! People need to lighten up! Etcetera!

29. Posted March 7, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Funny, and no disclaimer needed.

30. Posted March 11, 2009 at 8:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

It is always fun to see how people seem not to understand humor… :-)