Good evening and welcome back to the Metacity Journal. Tonight’s roundup of all things metacitous includes:
- GNOME bug 333548: Alex Turner’s patch is going in tonight just as soon as I’ve rebuilt absolutely everything because my glib build was out of date.
- GNOME bug 358674 (as previously discussed on these pages) continues to be a major discussion area. There seem to be three major attitudes about unidirectional maximisation (i.e. the ability to jump a window to full width or height but not vice versa). Currently we support it but only by a keybinding that’s difficult to find. The options are:
- Don’t support it at all (even as a keybinding)
- Support it as an extra action which can happen on double/middle/left click, which would cause the least risk of instability
- Support middle and right click on the maximise button, as kwin does.
Your thoughtful and considered opinion is welcome.
- GNOME bug 511826: Window decorations don’t change colour: needs confirming
- GNOME bug 509165: we should allow a “separator” element in /apps/metacity/general/button_layout; nobody has yet provided a patch. Could be an interesting one to play with.
- GNOME bug 512676: alt+right mouse button should resize; I believe this is dealt with already using alt+middle mouse button
- GNOME bug 512561: G_GNUC_FUNCTION (which gets you the name of the current function, and doesn’t work in many cases) replaced with G_STRFUNC (which is much more reliable).
It’s been a bit quiet, really.
In the meantime, do check out Devil’s Pie, an add-on to Metacity which lets you do things like start all terminals on one particular workspace.
Image: was The Cricketers, now a curry house called Devdas, St Albans. Photo by Gary Houston, public domain. I always feel things are going well when blog entries are organised enough to have photos. :)