Flower Power & Instant Messaging

Busy busy bee, that’s me :)

Chelsea Flower Show ’06

Recently I attended the Chelsea Flower Show for the second time and it didn’t disappoint, I took plenty of eye candy for all to enjoy and you can find it at the usual hot spot (http://www.curlybeast.net). One of my favourites has to be this aqualegia, most spectacular:

Gossip 0.11.1

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks Gossip has really had some work put into it and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Eitan Isaacson for the patches he sent in to get avatar support up and running – it r0cks! Looking good Jeff ;)

During this time we have also spent time fixing some of the little things and adding general polish to make it sparkle, this has meant that Richard has upgraded his status from party hacker to real hacker!

Thanks again to all that has helped with the latest release, it is appreciated and your patches most welcome!

Oh – and I am in the middle of moving house at the moment too, woohoo, busy busy busy!

7 comments ↓

#1 Aaron on 05.30.06 at 8:15 am

What GTK / Window theme is it that you’re using?

#2 Gabe on 05.30.06 at 1:36 pm

I see you’re making layout changes to the contact list window again!

I’ve always thought that the multi-account toolbar thing you’ve got going on is kind of useless. I don’t care which accounts I’m connected to enough to have that information visible all the time.

If you really think we need the info, how about an Accounts *menu* (or a submenu of Chat) with an entry for each account (maybe with a check mark if the account is online). Same functionality, less clutter. Even without an Accounts menu, I’d love to see the bar vanish.

I also prefer the Status combo to be positioned at the bottom of the window, rather than at the top – it balances the contact list between the menu and the combo and just feels less top-heavy. GTalk and MSN Messenger get away with it without the top-heaviness because they’re spartan, html-ish layouts – but with blunt, rectangular GTK controls it just don’t work. Besides, we’re conditioned to look for the status of a window at the bottom (status bar!) – why change the convention now?

Thanks for the excellent client, can hardly wait for your new version to hit Ubuntu! You’re doing great work.

#3 David on 05.30.06 at 6:50 pm

Why do you wast so much space on the left side of the contact list? I see that in many IM clients and I think it’s really useless, since it prevents me from keeping the window narrow.

So I’m sticking with gajim for now.

#4 Martyn Russell on 05.30.06 at 7:16 pm

Aaron: I use the Clearlooks (widgets) / Black (metacity). The black metacity theme is found here: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35202

Gabe: The multiple account toolbar is useful only when you want to show connection problems, I think I will change this though, and using a menu is a good idea here. Perhaps we will just show the account toolbar when there is an error trying to connect. About the presence chooser, I don’t think it makes the slightest bit of difference if it is at the top or bottom, if you compare Instant Messaging applications they are pretty mixed with no particular position used consistently. We don’t have to follow suit either ;) We are pretty much testing it at the moment. I WOULD like to put the avatar at the top with your account’s nickname, (similar to GTalk’s layout) but that is problematic with multiple accounts. Thanks for your input, it is welcomed! :D

David: I agree, we would like to do have a flat look the way Gajim does and this approach is available as standard in GTK+ 2.10 thanks to the work Kristian has been doing on the GtkTreeView. We will probably wait till then.

#5 Davyd on 05.31.06 at 2:45 am

My avatar doesn’t seem to stick, does it require some level of server support?

#6 Martyn Russell on 05.31.06 at 3:30 am

Davyd: Yes. Older servers (like the one we are about to upgrade for our @imendio accounts) do not support avatars.

#7 Davyd on 05.31.06 at 5:52 pm

We’re running 2.0s6. It seems to display avatars for people on Google Talk, but it doesn’t seem to want to save mine (ie. every time I go into Personal Details, it’s not there), but no error is given.