Improved Tracker Preferences for Indexed Locations

Something I have been meaning to do for a long time, is to update the preferences dialog for Tracker to easily add locations which are special user directories (as per the GUserDirectory locations).

I wanted to do this in such a way that:

• It was really easy to toggle locations as recursive or not
  • The file chooser was only necessary for non-standard locations
  • Better use of the space was made by integrating the two lists (previously) for single directory and recursive directory indexing
  • I could fix a few issues which had been reported when it came to saving using the special symbols (e.g. &DESKTOP for G_USER_DIRECTORY_DESKTOP, etc.) when one or more user directories evaluated to the same location

The result is this (now in master and 0.12.2 when it is released):

7 comments ↓

#1 Søren Hauberg on 09.17.11 at 7:40 am

The text “You can decide if you want to index the content recursively or not using the checkbuttons in the list next to each entry” gives you nothing but completely obvious information; you might as well remove it. The information that is missing is what “recursively” means. I’d say remove the explanatory text and change the “Recurse” header to “Index subdirectories” or something like that.

#2 Mike on 09.17.11 at 11:15 am

I think, the text at the top is a bit long. Other than that this is awesome!

This would also be great to have in a backup tool like Deja-Dup! Could it even be worthy of a reusable widget? :-)

BTW: Your blog comment form doesn’t indicate mandatory fields. Also, why are they mandatory? I could fill in crap anyway, so nagging the user to fill them out is just … annoying. ;-)

#3 Henrique on 09.17.11 at 1:06 pm

I think special locations shouldn’t appear in the list view. It duplicates functionality (add and remove) and they should just be recursively indexed. If they are used for what they are meant, it doesn’t make any sense not to set them “recurse”.

#4 Tomasz on 09.17.11 at 3:10 pm

Bottom half of dialog looks fine. But upper part? Overhelming text disaster :( Looks very similar to first example on http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000062.html

#5 name on 09.18.11 at 4:20 pm

I wonder how many normal computer people know what “recursively” means.

#6 John Stowers on 09.19.11 at 7:42 am

How many people know what “Recurse” means. Is there precident for calling this something else?

#7 mr on 09.19.11 at 10:37 am

@Søren: good point. I have addressed that and it’s now 2 paragraphs, not 3.

@Mike: yea, I agree, perhaps a widget does make more sense. About the blog fields, no idea, not changed the default wordpress configuration so …

@Henrique: I thought about that, but I actually disagree. Given the locations can vary from one distribution to another, you don’t know if the DOWNLOAD dir is the DESKTOP (which it was in the past for me). I think seeing those in the list is the ultimate way of knowing where your content is covered. It’s also not about functionality being duplicated here but about making it easier for the user to set up their common and uncommon locations. I also think the decision to recurse or not is not something that should be implicit. People store different things there.

@Tomasz: Thanks, let me know if the new look is any better now in master.

@name: Any other suggestions here?

@John: I agree. If there is something more understood, we’re welcome to hear it.