[Announce] pygobject 2.28.6 releasedJune 13, 2011 4:49 pm Uncategorized
I am pleased to announce version 2.28.6 of the Python bindings for GObject.
The new release is available from ftp.gnome.org:
- closure: avoid double free crash (Ignacio Casal Quinteiro)
- [gi] backport of “GVariant has a GType” fe386a (John (J5) Palmieri)
- [gi] fixes to backport commit 6b5a65 – in older glib GVariants are still structs (John (J5) Palmieri)
- GVariantType is a boxed struct (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Use _gi.Struct to wrap fundamentals (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Added __eq__ method for Gdk.Color and Gdk.RGBA (Jason Siefken)
- Remove useless import (Ignacio Casal Quinteiro)
- Revert “[gi] Removed hack to avoid using GLib.Variant.new_variant.” (Ignacio Casal Quinteiro)
- closure: Check the out arg is not null. Fixes bug #651812 (Ignacio Casal Quinteiro)
- Fix GC-related crash during PyGObject deallocation (Daniel Drake)
- Fix symbol names to be locale independent (Martin Pitt)
- Updated DOAP file (Sebastian Pölsterl)
GObject is a object system library used by GTK+ and GStreamer.
PyGObject provides a convenient wrapper for the GObject library for use in Python programs, and takes care of many of the boring details such as managing memory and type casting. When combined with PyGTK, PyORBit and gnome-python, it can be used to write full featured Gnome 2 applications.
Like the GObject library itself PyGObject is licensed under the GNU LGPL, so is suitable for use in both free software and proprietary applications. It is already in use in many applications ranging from small single purpose scripts up to large full featured applications.
PyGObject requires glib >= 2.22.4 and Python >= 2.5.1 to build.
GIO bindings require glib >= 2.22.4.
The Introspection module is the next generation Python GObject library bindings. Instead of statically wrapping every GObject based library we can now dynamically accesses any of those libraries using GObject Introspection. It replaces the need for separate modules such as PyGTK, GIO and python-gnome to build a full GNOME 3.0 application. Once new functionality is added to gobject library it is instantly available as a Python API without the need for an intermediate Python module.
Introspection/Python 2 bindings requires gobject-introspection >= 0.9.5 and pycairo >=1.0.2 or py2cairo >=1.8.10
Introspection/Python 3 bindings requires gobject-introspection >= 0.9.5, pycairo >=1.8.10 and Python >= 3.1