Istanbul has been proposed to host GUADEC 2008. Some details:
- It is not as hot as I expected; average high temperature = 27 degrees celcius
- great place to be/party/enjoy the culture
- 4 star hotel: $30,- per night
- cheaper/free accomodation should be possible (IMO this is very important so we can have as many people join as possible)
- two international airports
To see the whole proposal, read the following PDF document: guadec2008-proposal.pdf. If you have any questions please contact Barış Çiçek (GNOME Türkiye board contact, part of the membership committee and also responsible for the Mango Summer of Code enhancement).
Note: I do not know about other proposals for 2008. Further, I am not involved with any of them. My ideal proposal would let as many people join as possible (avoiding visa/money/etc problems). Although sponsoring people is good, I’d rather sponsor even more people just due to the tickets/accommodation/food/venue/etc being cheaper.