I have had a moderately successful day. I branched metacity for 2.22. (I wish I could write more about work here; it feels silly not writing about the thing I spend most of my time doing.) I made a list of things which need dealing with now we’ve branched, and as a diversion fixed up some map SVGs for Wikipedia (and another project). Someone came around with bagels.
Fin phoned and told me the SPCA had come by and told them they’d found a cat who looked just like our cat Zarate, who ran away shortly before Kirsten came to visit; Fin and Alex and Rio went to see, but the new cat (let’s say her name is Zaratbee) didn’t respond to her name or the feeding song, despite being about the right size and shape and colour. Fin thought it was her; Alex didn’t. I will go along tomorrow and see.
It snowed a lot. I was told I gave the best hugs. I came home and it snowed a lot and Fin in her awesomeness said “Why not let’s go to Los Aztecas?” So we did and the food was even better than it usually is, and almost nobody was there because of the snow. We talked about politics, and came home. I worked on some simple breadboard electronics on the dining-room table with Rio before she went to bed; she wrote up the findings in her lab notebook, which has a picture of Strawberry Shortcake on the front. Did I mention she has dyed her hair grape-soda purple? It really suits her.
I learned, or re-learned, about the __import__ statement in Python for a project I’m doing with the Metacity Journal (more will be revealed later). I asked jdub to move my public planet feed to blogs.gnome.org and I will automagically duplicate all content to LJ and blogo. I have not decided what I will do about comments. I also need to put some time into copying the stylesheets and formatting from marnanel.org to blogs.gnome.org.
Ande: I have started work on the river story. It is progressing nicely.
Things I wanted to share (because they were an interesting read):
- Lolcats who support Barack Obama (yes, I know lolcats are a tired joke: get over it. I still think All Your Smurf is funny.)
- You should probably eat more fruit. But if the nutrition won’t sell it, maybe sex will (not remotely worksafe)
- sabotabby explains why she thought black-focussed schools in Toronto were a bad idea and why she changed her mind
- nhw shares his thoughts on the Treaty of Lisbon and why it possibly doesn’t matter
- Andy Tanenbaum is running electoral-vote.com again this year, discussing the November US presidential election, with new analysis and discussion every day.
- Language Log provides a supporting example to ++Rowan’s comments about religious courts arbitrating on civil matters.
- Template Toolkit (my favourite templating system) is now beginning to be available for Python.
Now I will make more tea and then go and get out of these clothes and sit in bed and fix bugs, which I can do because Alex has fixed wireless networking, so hallelujah, say I.