With this version comes important things !
libempathy and libempathy-gtk are now installed libraries with public C API. You can see documentation (gtkdoc) with devhelp. That means other applications can now link on libempathy(-gtk) to integrate IM support. At guadec I seen IM stuff in abiword and inkscape, they both implement everything themself with a different UI. Using empathy those projects can support collaborative edition very easilly using stream/dbus tubes (not merged into gabble yet). Python bindings is underdevelopment bug #457660. You can begin to write other language bindings, but keep in mind that the API can change at any time !
Thanks to Vincent Untz reviewing the whole empathy UI, there is now 62 open bugs for Empathy ! Most should be really easy to fix, so if you have free time and want to hack on the future GNOME IM client please help me to fix bugs !
The 0.9 release announce:
Empathy 0.9 is now available for download from:
What is it?
Empathy consists of a rich set of reusable instant messaging widgets, and a GNOME client using those widgets. It uses Telepathy and Nokia’s Mission Control, and reuses Gossip’s UI. The main goal is to permit desktop integration by providing libempathy and libempathy-gtk libraries. libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that can be embeded into any GNOME application.
Where can I find out more?
You can visit the project web site:
- Initial room list support. It doesn’t work yet but most of the code is ready.
- Tell the user when a message can’t be sent.
- Set all contacts from salut protocol to the “Local Network” group.
- Fix NetworkManager support.
- Iconify main window to the status icon like in rhythmbox.
- Show avatars in chatrooms.
- Fix avatar not being requested when empathy starts.
- Remove unused nickname entry and use a GtkTable for room information.
- Set a window title and fix alignment of widgets for contact related dialogs
(add, edit/view info).
- Adding initial API documentation using gtk-doc.
- Auto-accept to publish presence to contacts that are in our subscribe list.
When accepting a pending contact add it to publish and subscribe list.
- Filter incoming text channels and make status icon flash when there we
receive a new message. Dispatch the channel only when we get a message and
the user click on the icon.
- Install libempathy and libempathy-gtk and make their API public. The API is
NOT STABLE AT ALL !!!
- Fixed #451564, crash in Empathy Instant Messenger: Nothing — having open c… (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #454277, crash in Empathy Instant Messenger: Started empathy and was … (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #443162, MSN account settings need a better UI (Cosimo Cecchi)
- Fixed #444490, Gossip–>Empathy conversion (Mario Danic, Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #452536, Provide a nice API to launch EmpathyLogManager (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #455240, add EMPATHY_LOGFILE env variable (Guillaume Desmottes)
- Fixed #457992, Rounded avatars (Raphael Slinckx)
- Fixed #458106, Iconify nicely to the status icon (Jaap A. Haitsma)
- Updated sv: Daniel Nylander
- Updated pl: Tomasz Dominikowski
- Updated es: Jorge Gonzalez
- Updated ja: Takeshi AIHANA
25 July 2007