Empathy chat theme – call for designers

Empathy chat view has been supporting Adium themes for a long time now. Those themes are made of HTML, CSS and JS and are rendered using webkit-gtk. Empathy also supports build-in themes using a plain GtkTextView.

I’ve been working recently on improving empathy’s code to support the most recent theme spec as well as fixing rendering issues we had with some themes. I also added a theme preview is settings dialog.

Adium Theme Preview

Designers have been working hard to create the GNOME 3 look & feel, and I think a GNOME adium theme would be great to have for empathy chats. That theme would be shipped by empathy and set by default, so we could drop our GtkTextView-based themes for a massive code simplification.

This is a call for designers: We would like mockups, ideas, and finally a working adium theme to be used by empathy by default.

In a first step, gimped image of what we would like would be enough. Then we can start implementing it with the HTML/CSS.

Suggestions and ideas can be posted on the empathy bug #645920, or on the usability mailing list.

8 Responses to “Empathy chat theme – call for designers”

1. eMerzh says:

Nice supporting adiul theme for chat windows…
    but the thing is that adium also support theme for contact window et THAT is really wanted :) no othe client do this :)

nice work anyway !

2. z says:

the IRC chat window *really* could get some love as well, people in chatrooms don’t even have icons. Looks pretty ugly compared to pidgin.

3. drago01 says:

The problem which such themes is that they don’t allow one to copy a conversation like it is possible with a basic text view.

4. bochecha says:

@drago01: that has alsobeen why I never used any of those themes.

At first Iwould try them, like them, and the first time I wanted to copy-paste, there came the pain.

I’d love to have a nicer Empathy theme, but copy-paste really need to be properly supported.

5. Eduardo Silva says:

What about making the theme look like the theme used in planet.gnome.org ?

Ditto for the copy+paste possibility.

6. quinn says:

Whatever you decide on, i dearly hope it’s one that can take its colors from the user’s current theme.

7. Danielle says:

Empathy also supports build-in themes using a plain GtkTextView.

I thought we were removing old-style themes in 3.2. I suppose a new default is the first step towards that.

8. xclaesse says:

@Danielle: “That theme would be shipped by empathy and set by default, so we could drop our GtkTextView-based themes for a massive code simplification.” :-)