Good morning, freedom lovers!
blogs.gnome.org is now running WordPress MU 2.6.2, which is the latest and greatest (strictly speaking, a micro-release into the future) of WordPress MU. It is equivalent to WordPress 2.6, which has all kinds of cool new stuff, including:
- Wiki-style revision control of posts and pages, integrated with auto-save… including diffs!
- The Press This! bookmarklet, for drive-by blogging of cool stuff you find on the web — it will helpfully find images, video and quotes, ready to include in your post.
- Turbo-charge the admin interface with Gears enhanced in-browser caching support.
- Thinking of trying on something new? The theme preview window lets you see how your blog would look before you switch.
- In addition to the enhanced upload interface and image captions, you can now post galleries in your blog.
- New plugins for blogs.gnome.org: The incredibly capable Twitter Tools plugin replaces the old Twitter widget — and soon we’ll make sure it has laconi.ca/identi.ca support. A simpler Google Analytics plugin — everyone using the old plugin has been migrated across. Viper’s Video Quicktags makes it really easy to insert videos.
- Sadly, OpenID is off for the time being. Our old hacks were really too hacky to bring across. We’ll be testing the author’s work on MU compatibility soon.
- Although the admin interface has never been a speed daemon, the whole site is generally faster due to a whole stack of performance fixes we’ve done since the upgrade.