Last week, I went over to Recife, Brazil, to give a advanced GStreamer training course to the INDT folks. Despite it being the first training I ever gave (I already did several lectures and practical courses, but nothing this intensive), it was IMHO a real success. First of all, because of the attendees who were ALL extremely motivated and interested by the subject, asking the smart questions, digging deeper and deeper. Satisfying their thirst of knowledge was the other rewarding part. I discovered I knew more about GStreamer than I thought, and I deeply enjoyed transferring that knowledge.
I staid at Andre‘s place during that week, and it of course involved lots of going out, drinking, and yes even a hackfest ! All in all it was excellent. I’m looking forward to going back there, for work or for leasure. You can see some photos from the trip here
Anyway, I’m now back in colder Barcelona, and after a little personal review the decision was made to concentrate myself more on PiTiVi and direct GStreamer hacking. Don’t expect me to be as reactive as I was before to fixing bugs in various plugins or gst-python, it won’t happen until I get PiTiVi to a stage where you can do editing, namely cutting, resizing and moving around sources as you can see in the UI Mockups. I think it’s better both for all the end-users who’ve been waiting so long, and also as being a more productive Fluendo employee (Being paid to work on PiTiVi doesn’t come for free, but it’s a price I’m willing to pay).
Last of last, for the past 2 days I’ve been going over decodebin2 even more, fixing some last issues, testing its behaviour with the gst-media-test against current decodebin and it’s now performing as well, takes less memory, and doesn’t leak any memory. So expect it to land in cvs tomorrow. I’ll also patch playbin so that you can use playbin with decodebin2 if you have the proper environment variable set. Unfortunately, in the long run playbin is going to have to be modified/rewritten in order to benefit from some new features that decodebin2 proposes… which might be a good thing considering playbin hasn’t changed much in the port to 0.10, and it might be time for a clean rewrite.