Over the last few weekends I’ve been working with Christian Hammond to try to get our notification specification, libnotify, and notification-daemon story in order.
Long story made short – things had become a bit fragmented over the last year or two. A number of people tried valiantly to move the spec along but were unsuccessful in getting their changes published. Everyone on the planet that was shipping libnotify and notification-daemon shipped them with a different set of patches. This meant we had lots of different micro-forks of both the implementation and specification. We even had a hard time agreeing on the version numbers for the specification. Version 0.10 happened after version 1.0 was published. Yikes, what a mess.
Some downstream distributions either decided to try to differentiate by writing their own notification-daemon implementation or writing custom bubble themes. This kind of differentiation or fragmentation is dangerous (or at best anti-social) and should usually be viewed with some skepticism. I should not be spared from this criticism either since I wrote a new theme that we used in Fedora 12. (It is now included upstream)
So, out of respect for the original authors and innovators I put some time in to try to straighten this all out.
The canonical implementations have a new home:
The notification specification source has a new home:
We still need to find a place to host the new 1.1 version of the specification on the GNOME web site. After discussing this with Fred Peters it seems like http://library.gnome.org/devel/references#standards is an appropriate place for it. Hopefully we can decide in the next few days.
I have to give credit where it is due. Most of what I’ve done is merging the changes from Andrew Walton and Aurélien Gâteau. Thanks dudes for continuing to do the right thing and pushing changes upstream – even or especially when it was hard. And thanks to Christian Hammond, Mike Hearn, and J5 for their vision and hard work in getting us to this point.
Now, hackers we need you. Please grab these from git and test them out and file bugs. I’d like to do a release in the next few days but it would be great if they got some testing before then. Thank you!