I wrote a page with ideas for the GSoC. So if you are a student and you want to hack on a very cool project this summer, go and pick one of those empathy tasks!
GNOME 2.22.0 tarball due is today so everyone is releasing! I released Empathy 0.22.0, that’s the version that would be 2.22.0 if it was accepted in the GNOME desktop. I branched for GNOME 2.22 so work continue in HEAD to make 2.24 rock solid.
It is time to think about Google Summer of Code, last year empathy had 2 succesfull projects: Adding filetransfer (work still need to be reviewed) and audio/video (merged but not activated by default yet). For 2008 I have cooked a quick list of possible works, if someone is interested by one of those please contact me.
• Move chatroom UI to a dedicated program looking like xchat-gnome.
• Implement file transfer spec in all known Connection Managers.
• Finish porting empathy to telepathy-glib to drop libtelepathy dep.
• Write user and API documentation for empathy.
• Improve call UI, make possible to embed it in chat window, etc. Move to libstream-engine or whatever will replace s-e’s DBus API.
• import info in empathy from other clients like pidgin (logs, accounts, etc).
• Design a personal smileys interface and implement it in telepathy-butterfly and empathy.
• Design a xhtml-im interface and implement it in all CM and empathy.
• Make use of constructors in all objects instead of having code in empathy_*_new().
• Porting telepathy stack to Windows/OSX.
• Write unit tests and make sure empathy don’t have leaks using valgrind. Move current tests to GTest.
• Make a plugin system for chat themes, demonstrate with a theme supporting LaTeX math equations.
• Implement contact info in all known CM and empathy
Yet another empathy release! As empathy is not yet part of GNOME desktop I’m not following freezes, so this version has news features ;D
The VoIP support in empathy is now far better, but you’ll need not-yet-released versions of farsight and stream-engine which fixes lots of issues, we should get new releases of those modules rsn.
Empathy has now decent UI for configure Jabber/GTalk/Yahoo/ICQ/IRC/MSN protocols, I refactorised the code to generate those specialised UI and it’s now just a matter of a glade file with 15lines of C… So if you’re using another protocol (thanks to telepathy-haze empathy supprots all piding protocols) and want to give a try using empathy, I would be happy to get patches!
For those of you wanting to contribute using git, please read the “commit message” topic on my git howto.