The GNOME Foundation is looking for developers to enhance the developer experience of using GTK+ to port and create applications on MeeGo Handset devices.
Knowledge of the MeeGo Handset development process, and GTK+ internals will be required to carry out the work.
The tasks to be achieved are:
- Ensure that GTK+ applications display as expected on the MeeGo Handset platform, including checking that fixes to the compositor are made if necessary.
- Add to upstream GTK+ helper functionality to create stand-alone GTK+ applications to run on MeeGo.
- Merge Hildon widgets functionality into GTK+ upstream, where it makes sense to do so.
The money available for the project is $50,000, and the bidder selection will be made by a group including professional consultants with GTK+ and MeeGo experience and GNOME Foundation Board members.
Bids should include:
- Results of testing stock GTK+ applications on the MeeGo Handset platform
- Details of your research into what GTK+ functionality needs to be added to ease porting of stock applications to MeeGo Handset.
- The list of widgets and functionality ported from Hildon to upstream GTK+, including a review of how the functionality would be integrated (extending existing widgets, new widgets, etc.)
- A time line and schedule for the whole project
- References to previous MeeGo, MeeGo Handset, Maemo, or GTK+ work.
Note that the goal of the GNOME Foundation for this project is upstream acceptance of the various modifications made during the project.
Please send your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MeeGo Handset Bid”.