The GNOME project is an effort to create and provide a complete, free and easy-to-use desktop and mobile environment accessible to all users, as well as a powerful application development framework for software developers. GNOME technologies are used in millions of desktops, phones and devices around the world.
The GNOME Foundation supports the GNOME project by acting as an official voice for the GNOME project, providing a means of communication with the press and with commercial and noncommercial organizations interested in GNOME software, providing business development opportunities for GNOME and its partners, hosting GNOME events and marketing GNOME.
Comprised of thousands of volunteer developers and industry-leading companies, the GNOME Foundation is an organization committed to supporting the advancement of GNOME. The Foundation is a member directed, non-profit organization that provides financial, organizational and legal support to the GNOME project and helps determine its vision and roadmap.
The GNOME Foundation is currently recruiting an Executive Director to run and grow The GNOME Foundation and project by engaging volunteers, governments, partners, companies and independent organizations. The Executive Director will work to develop and maintain programs to further GNOME’s goals, to promote the benefits of the GNOME platform, and encourage contribution and collaboration within the GNOME ecosphere. Applicants for this job would be able to work effectively on their own, with little oversight, while possessing clear communications and persuasion skills so as to be comfortable talking about GNOME in front of large crowds at conferences, executives in boardrooms, one-on-one with heads of state, and with the GNOME volunteer community.
Job Location: Home based with broadband connection (ideally North American or Western European Time Zones).
Required Skills & Responsibilities
- Able to run the day-to-day operations of The GNOME Foundation and manage staff.
- Able to lead in a distributed volunteer, open source non-profit
- Outstanding planning, writing and communication skills (including public speaking).
- Strong management and delegation skills.
- Strong multitasking skills – driving multiple projects simultaneously and successfully.
- Ability to be productive through self-motivation and self-discipline
- Manage existing relationships as well as develop new ones.
- Implement services and programs according with the vision and mission of the Foundation.
- Agreeable and able to travel internationally up to 25% of the time.
- Develop community outreach programs.
- Demonstrated experience managing volunteer or free/open source software projects from development to execution.
- Demonstrated experience leading international and virtual or free/open source software teams.
- Recruit and retain new volunteers in many different skill sets from marketing to development to design.
- Experienced with managing and tracking many diverse projects at once including motivating, engaging and working with volunteer community members.
- Develop stronger relationships with significant GNOME deployments and the larger GNOME community.
- Develop new programs to expand GNOME’s ecosystem, like developer documentation, training or consulting opportunities.
- Business development and management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the desktop and mobile industries. Solid understanding of desktop and mobile free/open source technologies and the competitive landscape.
- Manage existing Advisory Board relationships and develop new Advisory Board partnerships.
- Explore and develop new business development opportunities.
- Manage partner relationships.
- Manage sponsorship relationships.
- Managing Advisory Board relationships.
Financial management and fund raising
- Should have fund raising experience and a proven track record.
- Develop and run fund raising campaigns.
Strategic marketing & planning
- Represent GNOME at professional and community conferences, and in internet forums (blogging, etc.).
- Do short and long term strategic planning for the Foundation.
- Brand / image management.
- Engage in short and long term strategic planning for the Foundation.
We welcome all interested and qualified candidates to apply by sending their resume and an email explaining their interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.