Long shot: Anybody got any advice on how to use a tool such as SoftIce to log all EC and ACPI accesses during the Windows XP suspend? I can't believe I'm reverse engineering a closed source windows DLL just to find out why resume won't work in Linux…
Hypothetically, if I was to buy a new laptop for geeky work I'm thinking I might go crazy: An Apple Macbook.
I'm avoiding the Macbook Pro due to the non-free video and significant price increase, and also that I could do with something more portable than what I have now.
So far, I'm thinking:
- [X] Dual core, lots of memory
- [X] Suspend and Hibernate work
- [X] Screen brightness works
- [?] Ambient light sensor
- [X] DVD burner
- [ ] Wireless without ndiswrapper
- [?] Second monitor out working with VGA and DVI
- [X] Intel GMA graphics card
- [?] XRANDR support for video driver
- [X] Bluetooth that works
- [X] Integrated camera
- [X] Can blast OSX off the drive completely.
- [?] Can run xen or vmware
So, does anybody know if:
- You can retrofit another pcie wifi card?
- madwifi_ng will actually work reliably in F7?
- the super-reflective screen will annoy me?
- you can run vmware or xen on a macbook?
- the macbook has a brightness sensor like the pro?
- The keyboard is any good?
- You can actually cope in GNOME having one mouse button?
Now, I'm thinking I might buy this in the US rather than the UK… It's still significantly cheaper (about £200) even after taking into account the stonking exchange rate. Bad plan?
Anyone got any success or horror stories? Thanks.
p.s. two exams down, two to go. So far, so good.