Empathy 0.6 is now available for download from: http://download.gnome.org/sources/empathy/0.6/ 22893f1b97ceb540f9bffcfe6dd68369 empathy-0.6.tar.gz d8b51a02718f4e28a9916d54f3a9a3c0 empathy-0.6.tar.bz2 What is it? =========== Empathy consists of a rich set of reusable instant messaging widgets, and a GNOME client using those widgets. It uses Telepathy and Nokia's Mission Control, and reuses Gossip's UI. The main goal is to permit desktop integration by providing libempathy and libempathy-gtk libraries. libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that can be embeded into any GNOME application. Where can I find out more? ========================== You can visit the project web site: http://live.gnome.org/Empathy What's New? =========== - Join room when clicking on favorite rooms. - Do not restore away presence message when coming back after the user set manually to away. - Set parent window when poping a new window/dialog. - Implement favorite chatroom menu. - Do not highlight contacts already known when creating the contact list. - Do not set status message to "Extended autoaway", let user's message unchanged. - Many bugs and leaks fixed. Bugs Fixed: =========== - Fixed #442639, Crashed after switching to Away (Xavier Claessens) Translations: ============= None Manual Translations: ==================== None 01 June 2007 Empathy team
Empathy 0.5 is now available for download from: http://download.gnome.org/sources/empathy/0.5/ 23143686a879b927d456ea8a7b8c4c6c empathy-0.5.tar.gz e363689295c78ad62d323111a0176ea5 empathy-0.5.tar.bz2 What is it? =========== Empathy consists of a rich set of reusable instant messaging widgets, and a GNOME client using those widgets. It uses Telepathy and Nokia's Mission Control, and reuses Gossip's UI. The main goal is to permit desktop integration by providing libempathy and libempathy-gtk libraries. libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that can be embeded into any GNOME application. Empathy homepage: http://live.gnome.org/Empathy What's New? =========== - Do not highlight groups when adding them in the roster. - Do not create new GossipContact object in presence/avatar/alias changed signal if we don't already know that contact from a contact list channel. This should fix DBus max pending calls limit reached in some cases. - New icon for empathy-new-message, empathy-group-message and empathy-proto-irc. - Chatroom support. New objects: GossipNewChatroomDialog, GossipAccountChooser, GossipGroupChat - If we are offline do not set away on idle. If we are already away restore to available when we are no mode idle. Do no modify status message. - Fixed message displaying with fancy themes. - Many bugs fixed. Bugs Fixed: =========== None Translations: ============= None 25 May 2007 Empathy team
Here is the first empathy release made by imendio’s maintainer script.
Empathy 0.4 is now available for download from:
What is it?
Empathy consists of a rich set of reusable instant messaging widgets, and a GNOME client using those widgets. It uses Telepathy and Nokia’s Mission Control, and reuses Gossip’s UI. The main goal is to permit desktop integration by providing libempathy and libempathy-gtk libraries. libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that can be embeded into any GNOME application.
- contact list refactoring: EmpathyContactList is an iface implemented by EmpathyTpContactList, EmpathyContactManager and EmpathyTpChatroom. GossipContactList splitted into GossipContactListStore and GossipContactListView, it can display any object implementing the EmpathyContactList iface. Make possible to set custom functions to define the groups of a contact, by default it gets the “group” property of the GossipContact object. This make possible to reuse the contact list UI from the main window for chatrooms where groups are the role/affiliation of the contact on that room.
- Auto away when gnome-screensaver says the session is idle and extended away 30min after that.
- Display ChatState when the contact is composing.
- Bugbuddy now reports crashes to GNOME Bugzilla.
- New program icon.
- Setting i18n support and importing po files from gossip.
- Add an example label for jid.
- Do not open chat window twice for the same conversation.
– Updated sv: Daniel Nylander
– Updated en_GB: David Lodge
– imported from Gossip
20 May 2007
Empathy 0.3 just released!!!
What is it?
Empathy is a GNOME client for Instant messaging, it uses telepathy, nokia’s
mission control and reuses gossip’s UI. The main goal is to permit desktop
integration by providing libempathy and libempathy-gtk libraries.
libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that can be embeded into any
- Artwork for protocols and status icons
- New EmpathyStatusIcon object to change status and show/hide main window
- Sync with last Gossip UI
- Many bugfix and code cleanup
Empathy is now hosted on GNOME servers.
FTP for tarballs: Coming soon.
You can find tarballs at http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~xclaesse/
Empathy is now open for bug reports, please test it and report bugs!
Contributions are also welcomed!
Of course what you all want is a screenshot!
Hi GNOME lovers,
I started a new GNOME project 2 months ago, it’s a IM client designed for the GNOME desktop. It is not yet-another-xmpp-client, Empathy is a telepathy client using nokia’s mission-control (MC) and reusing gossip‘s UI. This project was previously known under the name of Grapevine.
Empathy is subdivised into two libraries (libempathy and libempathy-gtk) and 3 programs, everything is implemented in C language:
- libempathy: An abstraction layer on top of libtelepathy and libmissioncontrol. It provides high level API to easily build an UI on top of it.
- libempathy-gtk: A collection of GTK widgets build on top of libempathy. All applications are very simple because they just have to show those widgets to the user. Those widgets are forked from Gossip.
- empathy-accounts: Create/edit accounts settings.
- empathy-contact-list: Show a list of online contacts.
- empathy-chat: When a new chat (or chatroom) is created (someone sends us a message for example), MC will start this program and it will be responsible of showing the conversation to the user.
Those programs are very simple, less of 100 C lines code! They just creates widgets from libempathy-gtk. Those widgets can easily be embeded into other GNOME applications in order to integrate IM into GNOME desktop applications.
2 examples of usage of libempathy-gtk for other GNOME applications:
- Evolution could display the avatar of a contact and propose to answer to an email using IM. It’s really possible with little work.
- Nautilus could provide a “Send To” menu item, when right-click on a file, that shows a list of online contacts and sending the file directly.
Everything can be done regardless of the protocol used, thanks to telepathy Connection Managers.
There is already 2 Google SoC projects related to Empathy:
Simple user-to-user file transfer without configuration in a LAN
VoIP and video call client using Telepathy
I’m pleased to announce the first public release of Empathy !!! It currently supports contact-list, avatar, alias, groups, presence and private chat. More to come on next releases. See the first screenshot, download tarballs or checkout darcs repository. The project will soon move to GNOME svn and bugzilla.
If you want to help on making empathy rock feel free to check the TODO file included in source code.
Empathy is sponsored, inspired and loved by Collabora.
First of all I present myself. My name is Xavier Claessens, I’m using linux for 4 years now and I’m hacking on GNOME in my spare time for a year. Currently I work on Gossip, an GNOME IM, and more particularly on the TELEPATHY branch.
Those days more and more people try gossip-telepathy, Raphaël Slinckx announced his work on VoIP integration into gossip, but what the status of all that promising stuff ?
- Eitan Isaacson did the primary work and created a new GossipProtocol to implement telepathy spec. This includes presence, contact-list and private chat.
- Raphaël Slinckx added server-side contact groups, avatar and chatrooms support. All that features work pretty well using TELEPATHY branch of gossip and the jabber protocol (telepathy-gabble), others Connection Managers don’t support it yet.
- Raphaël Slinckx is currently working on VoIP support. Once again it works only with jabber because other CM don’t implement that yet. This work isn’t yet merged into gossip’s CVS branch but will hopefully be integrated once Raphaël feels it’s working well enough.
- I worked mainly on code-cleanup, stabilisation and better integration into gossip.
- Gossip-telepathy works with Jabber, MSN, IRC and salut (zeroconf link-local), I didn’t tested others CM but theoretically it should work with all of them with no modification.
- Contact information specification: Atm telepathy doesn’t have a spec to get/set vcards.
- File transfer specification.
- Notification when a contact is composing a message, it’s not yet into tp’s spec.
- Many chatroom features like role/affiliation of members, set/get topic, etc.
- The accounts dialog (to add/remove accounts in gossip) need more love to work better with telepathy backend.
- Lots of bugfix ! We really need more feedback and bug reports, more help to fix is of course welcomed.
And here is a screenshot, I’m connected to jabber and msn using my @gmail.com account, and I’m speaking on #firstname.lastname@example.org.