I’m now back from a week in Cambridge at the developer experience hackfest. This was a great event, it was a lot of fun to meet people again, and we got a lot of things done. I spent a lot of time talking to people about things related to xdg-app and sandboxed applications, both spreading information and actually implementing features.
I spent some time with Emmanuele, Ryan and Lars working on glib stuff, which resulted in the G_DECLARE_*_TYPE macros finally being merged. Additionally I reviewed the new list model abstraction which I hope we can land soon, and Ryan and I worked out a new fancy __attribute__(cleanup) approach that we hope to merge into glib soon.
We also worked a bit on Gtk+ OpenGL support. Based on feedback from early users we’re doing some changes in how GL contexts are created to allow you to configure them in more detail. We also decided that we want to completely drop support for legacy OpenGL contexts, as these had issues cooperating with Core 3.2 contexts, and because we don’t live in the 90s anymore. Carlos was working on converting GtkPopover to use (override redirect) toplevels on X11, and I gave him moral support and generally hated on ancient crappy X11 behaviour.
Props to Collabora and Philip for arranging a great event!