AMR support in GStreamer

I blogged about some time ago the effort of Iago Toral Quiroga to use the Android AMR implementations to create GStreamer plugins. Work on that goal has been happening as part of bug 584890 and we finally managed to get it merged a few days ago. So in gst-plugins-ugly you now have a nice working set of AMR plugins for AMR-NB decoding and encoding and a plugin for AMR-WB decoding. Also included is a parser that handles both AMR-NB and AMR-WB.

A major change in the scope of the plugins is that we no longer plan to include a full copy of the Android code, instead we are going to share a common copy with other projects, a package maintained by Martin Storsjö. This copy is hosted here on Sourceforge. For those wanting to test it out together with git master of gst-plugins-ugly and are using Fedora, I created these opencore-amr RPMS today based on their git master. The 0.1.1 release got some build system bugs which are fixed in git master, but the next release should build out on the box on most systems.

A big Thank You to Iago and Martin!


#1 chicha on 07.29.09 at 15:26

Thanks a lot guys for this work ! It will really help see my videos from my mobile phone using gstreamer based applications.

Congratulation !

#2 Michael on 07.30.09 at 09:35

Good stuff!

Btw, it would be great if you would push opencore to RPMFusion and ask those nice maintainers to build -bad and -ugly with this new dependancy for the next release.

#3 AMR in Transmageddon « Christian Schaller on 07.31.09 at 17:23

[…] after the successful integration of the new AMR plugin into GStreamer, I went about doing some testing with Transmageddon. […]