New fwupd release, and why you should buy a Dell

This morning I released the first new release of fwupd on the 0.8.x branch. This has a number of interesting fixes, but more importantly adds the following new features:

  • Adds support for Intel Thunderbolt devices
  • Adds support for some Logitech Unifying devices
  • Adds support for Synaptics MST cascaded hubs
  • Adds support for the Altus-Metrum ChaosKey device
  • Adds Dell-specific functionality to allow other plugins turn on TBT/GPIO

Mario Limonciello from Dell has worked really hard on this release, and I can say with conviction: If you want to support a hardware company that cares about Linux — buy a Dell. They seem to be driving the importance of Linux support into their partners and suppliers. I wish other vendors would do the same.

Published by


Richard has over 10 years of experience developing open source software. He is the maintainer of GNOME Software, PackageKit, GNOME Packagekit, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Color Manager, colord, and UPower and also contributes to many other projects and opensource standards. Richard has three main areas of interest on the free desktop, color management, package management, and power management. Richard graduated a few years ago from the University of Surrey with a Masters in Electronics Engineering. He now works for Red Hat in the desktop group, and also manages a company selling open source calibration equipment. Richard's outside interests include taking photos and eating good food.

14 thoughts on “New fwupd release, and why you should buy a Dell”

  1. I bought a XPS 15″ just for this purpose.
    Just wish the Intel driver for the integrated graphics would be on par with the nVidia one…

  2. I also have an XPS 15 9560 for a week now.
    It works just fine on Linux, but I really regret that unlike some other models, this one is only sold with Windows.

    1. Eh, I don’t much care what OS the machine comes from. It’s going to get reformatted on the first boot anyway, so the only reason I’d care about pre-installed Linux is that it implies that the machine has been certified to work correctly with at least one Linux variant.

      1. I do care, because I do not really want to give more than 50 euros to MS when buying my computer

  3. Wjere I can find the updated version of supported devices? I’m very interested on Logitech Unifying devices.

    1. It’s 99% working with U0007 and U0008 — but I’m in contact with the vendor for the remaining 1%. Hopefully more interesting news coming soon!

  4. Will it be able to update the keyboard/mouse firmware or is it limited to dongle firmware only?

  5. Why is this service running on a regular basis? Wouldn’t it make sense to fire it up when needed (especially as I have a Lenovo…)

  6. I was still unsure what my new laptop would be. This post just tipped the balance very much in favour of a Dell laptop, namely an XPS15.

    Thank you for the good work, and keep it up! :-)

Comments are closed.