I’ve finally managed to make a new release of SpectMorph, a C++ based project for creating and morphing sound models from samples; it still doesn’t have the morphing part, but at least its fast now, too. Depending on the CPU used, 100 to 300 simultanaeous voices are realistic, which should be enough for almost any composition.
Since SpectMorph can now import SoundFont files, I used this to build many many sound examples to compare how the SpectMorph models sound, and how the SoundFont sounds. Ideally they would be identical. After listening to quite a few of these files, I’d say that the SpectMorph approach in principle works for a wide variety of sounds, BUT that the encoding algorithm will produce more or less audible artefacts for some sounds, which hopefully can be fixed by improving the encoder.
The SpectMorph Homepage has all the samples (flac, ogg and mp3), so I’m just going to link one example here, to give you an idea of how good SpectMorph and original can match: Bach on a Church Organ using SpectMorph and using the Original Samples