I got more and interesting feedback about how GNOME applications should handle devices:
- Luke Hutchison suggested adding a system to .desktop files for an app that allows for the app to be activated when a specific D-BUS signal was raised. e.g. in gnome-cd.desktop :
Capability_Exec=gnome-cd --unique --play --device %d
- Jerry Haltom pointed to two more threads about using MIME types:
- David Zeuthen blogged about extending .desktop files with sections things like [System Action MediaAudioDiscInserted]
- Luca Ferretti pointed me to
and also sent me his unfinished answer to Thomas mail, proposing also a way to extend .desktop file to handle events, like X-GNOME-HANDLE-BLANKCD=true
- hadess also agrees on extending .desktop file for handling events.
So it seems that there is some agrement on extending .desktop files, and that it should be proposed/done at fd.org level.