Another day, another Metacity Journal, and your chronicler still has not resurrected the script.
As ever, feel free to dive in with any of these.
- GNOME bug 558058, Launchpad bug 258054, and possibly Launchpad bug 266929 were obscure bugs caused by dereferencing the values of GConf keys which are never null on a properly-configured system; changes in GDM allowed Metacity to be run sometimes without values for these keys, exposing the crashes. Now fixed.
- GNOME bug 558309: Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle noted that some names of variables weren’t double-quoted in error messages. Now fixed.
- GNOME bug 557921: Lennart Poettering suggests adding sound effects to Metacity. What are your thoughts, gentle reader?
Around the blogs
- Jeremy Visser tells us how to improve the refresh rate of Metacity’s compositor. (Is it worth making this part of Metacity? Iain? anyone?)
- SomGNU has a short review of the compositor. Seems the compositor is a hot topic.
There was a lot of discussion about theme patriation on gtk-list for apps such as icanhasedit; almost all the responses were negative. This diverged into a discussion about window matching, which Thomas has promised a blog post on soon.