Thanks to Paolo Borelli, Iain Holmes, Havoc Pennington, Christian Persch, Thomas Thurman, and Alex R.M. Turner for improvements in this version.
– Windows on other workspaces which need attention appear in the alt-tab list too (Alex ) (GNOME bug 333548)
– Remove deprecated function call (Christian ) (GNOME bug 512561)
– New release script (Thomas)
– Made a start at improving the general number of comments (Thomas)
– Updated copyright year to 2008, and some other tiny fixes (Thomas)
– Don’t do anything unusual when the compositor frees a window (Iain)
– Mapping windows doesn’t mark them as damaged (Iain)
– Compositor uses the overlay window and not the root window (Iain)
– Fixed several list leaks (Paolo)
– Fixed warnings about printf formats (Havoc)
– Move source files into subdirectories of the src directory (Havoc)
Translations: Khaled Hosny (ar), Ihar Hrachyshka (be@latin), Petr Kovar (cs), Andre Klapper (de), Jorge González (es), Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio (eu), Seán de Búrca (ga), Yuval Tanny (he), Luca Ferretti (it), Takeshi AIHANA (ja), Arangel Angov (mk), sandeep shedmake (mr), Kjartan Maraas (nb), Yannig Marchegay (Kokoyaya) (oc), Daniel Nylander (sv), Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (th), Baris Cicek (tr), Clytie Siddall (vi)
Source code here.
So, now that the compositor is in trunk and everyone is excited, this might be a good time to mention some “issues”.
Firstly, it seems that there are some weird shadow redrawing problems…these just appeared recently, so it shouldn’t be hard to find the offending commit. I think I know what it is, I just need to work out why its not working.
Next: Now that some windows have argb visuals some buggy themes may have translucent parts where there weren’t translucent parts before. Gilouche was one of these themes and Jimmac fixed it up recently. So if you start seeing through the window title bars, tell your theme author.
Also, I’ve been getting reports of terrible performance and rendering issues with xgl. It seems xgl doesn’t like any of the non-GL compositors, so I don’t know what to do about that.
Finally, on a happier note – a big thank you to whoever bought me stuff from my wishlist. Its much appreciated, even if it did take me two days before I noticed my parents had piled up my mail in a weird place while I was away…
Thanks to Iain Holmes and Thomas Thurman for improvements in this version. This is the first unstable release to contain the new compositor; please try it out and let us know how it goes for you. Downstream maintainers should note that its GConf key is initially turned off in src/metacity.schemas.in and consider whether to turn it on by default in their packages.
- merge compositor branch! (Iain ) (GNOME bug 499081)
- print “Subversion” and not “CVS” when building (Thomas)
Jorge González (es), Kjartan Maraas (nb), Daniel Nylander (sv)
Photo: Footbridge over the River Ver, Hertfordshire, England. Photographer: Gary Houston. Public domain.
Thanks to Benjamin Gramlich, Thomas Thurman, and Peter Bloomfield for improvements in this release.
Translations: Matej Urbančič (sl).
Source downloads from the usual place; md5sums are:
Photo: Ver valley. Photo by Gary Houston; public domain.
2.21.1 was released last night; it had been held off a little because of a regression in #486445, which is now fixed. Therefore, more patches than I’d ordinarily have expected to go into a point release went in.
Thanks to Elijah Newren, Alex R.M. Turner, Peter Bloomfield, Iain Holmes, Jans Granseuer, Federico Mena Quintero and Thomas Thurman for improvements in this release.
- Add –sync option, like all other GTK apps (Iain)
- Don’t save window’s position if it’s maximised (Peter) (#461927)
- Memory leak fix in preview (Jans) (#469682)
- Truncate tab popup string correctly, and refactor function (Alex)
- Windows which pop up under always-on-top windows don’t get the focus, but do get the “needs attention” hint (Thomas) (#486445)
- Fix error in function call which caused focus problems (Federico) (partial fix of #488468)
Translations: Djihed Afifi (ar), Metin Amiroff (az), Alexander Shopov (bg), Jordi Mallach (ca), David Lodge (en_GB), Jorge González (es), Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio (eu), Vincent Untz (fr), Alastair McKinstry (ga), Ankit Patel (gu), Rajesh Ranjan (hi), auto (hr), Changwoo Ryu (ko), Raivis Dejus (lv), Wouter Bolsterlee (nl), Gora Mohanty (or), ASB (pa), wadim dziedzic (pl), Duarte Loreto (pt), Og Maciel (pt_BR), Peter Tuhársky (sk), Matej Urbančič (sl), Daniel Nylander (sv), Maxim Dziumanenko (uk), Funda Wang (zh_CN)
Source available here; md5sums are:
Photo: River Ver at St Albans. Gary Houston, public domain.