As part of PyCon Au this weekend I did a lot of hacking on my laptop, which is not something I’ve done for a while, given how much I used to hack on my laptop. I was frequently getting annoyed at how my vim config wasn’t the same as it’s currently on my work desktop.
Back in uni, I used to keep my dotfiles in revision control on a machine I could connect to. All I needed was my ssh agent and I could get all my config.
Recently, when wanting to extend my vim config, people’s pages tell me to do it through vim pathogen, which I didn’t have set up.
Also there have been times when people have asked for my vim setup, which I wasn’t easily able to provide.
Given all of that, I decided it was time to rebuild my config using pathogen + git submodules from the ground up. As part of this, I updated quite a few plugins, and started using a few new things I hadn’t had available without pathogen, so it’s still a bit of a work in progress, but it’s here.
Installing new plugins is easy with git submodule add PATH bundle/MODULE_NAME.
If you’re a vim user, I strongly recommend this approach.