A belated happy first birthday to my beautiful daughter. It’s been a fantastic year.
Since then it seems like I’ve been sick most of the time. Instead of doing something useful, I’ve taken to fidding on a re-write of my Agave colorscheme designer, and I’ve made a decent amount of progress. It still lacks a lot of features of the original, but it benefits from my vastly better grasp of gtkmm and related technologies. I still don’t know if I’ll ever actually get around to releasing it. It’s currently serving as a way for me to relax and take breaks from my other projects. It’s become sort of a playground for me to try out new technologies, and I think I’ve succeeded in making it nearly impossible for normal users to build as it requires quite a few very new or unreleased libraries (goocanvasmm, giomm, glibmm-utils, etc).
Here’s a little screencast of what I’ve done so far:
I’ve set up a repository on github for anybody that’s interested in playing around with it.
Also, I’ll be taking over some glibmm maintainer duties from murray after the 2.16.0 release.
Yesterday I added a configure switch to nemiver to use gio (via giomm, which is shaping up nicely) instead of gnomevfs for file loading, mime-type detection, and file change monitoring. The process was quite painless, and the code ended up being considerably nicer than the equivalent in gnomevfs. In theory this should bring us a bit closer to being portable to other platforms as well. Cheers to alexl and everybody else working on gio.
Now if we could just get a replacement for
gnome_help_display() into GTK+, we’d be able to knock off a lot of other extra dependencies as well.
After a lovely and relaxing Thanksgiving break without any coding whatsoever, I’m trying to atone by pushing forward with nemiver a bit more (don’t worry, I’ll be going back to working on wrapping cluttermm again soon, but I’m sort of waiting for the 0.6 API to settle down a little bit first). In any case, as of last night, my branch of nemiver can view and edit memory, thanks to the magic of reusable widgets. GHex needs some modifications in order for it to work properly, so I haven’t pushed these changes to svn yet, but hopefully they’ll go in soon.