Category Archives: gtkmm

Releases galore

It feels like I’ve been making software releases like crazy lately. I guess people who’ve been involved in GNOME for a while probably feel this way regularly when release time comes around, but it’s sort of a first for me.


I’ve been hacking on cairomm and gtkmm for quite a while now, but cairomm has up to now been in a development state. For the gtkmm 2.10 release, we needed to depend on cairomm, so it had to be declared stable. So that happened over the weekend with version 1.2.0, followed on quickly by a 1.2.1 release to fix a small Windows compilation issue.


There was a slightly nasty gtkmm bug that popped up just after Murray released version 2.10.0 and went on vacation, so I had to try to get a new release cut in time for the GNOME release cutoff today. I’ve been developing my own Agave application for a while, but this is really the first time I’ve had to release software that A) matters, and B) needs to get done on a tight schedule. All in all a little nerve-wracking, but exhilarating at the same time.

Summer of Code

It’s great to see a updates on lot of the great summer of code projects within GNOME. It seems like this year was a really great year for SoC projects within GNOME. Great job to all the participants.


This weekend I actually got some excercise. Sunday Joanne and I decided to go to the park across the street and play a little bit of tennis. I’ve never really played much tennis in my life, but I’ve decided that I really like it. I even went and bought some new tennis balls since the ones we had in the house were all old and flat and barely bounced. Maybe I’ve finally found the thing to get me off my ass and get some excercise every now and then.

Update: for those who don’t have any idea who I am, I wrote a little introductory post that didn’t seem to get picked up by planet GNOME when I posted it.

gtkmm Website Update

For those that haven’t noticed, the gtkmm website has been updated recently. I tried to keep the markup more or less the same and do most of the changes with a stylesheet. I ended up needing to change the structure slightly, but for the most part, I could do most things with css, which was nice.

I’d really like it if the main website and the documentation (API and tutorial) all shared the same basic page structure and stylesheet, but there are a few complications. For instance, the main website source is located in the gnomemm-website cvs module, whereas the gtkmm API and turorial is located in the gtkmm module, and sharing files between cvs modules is difficult (impossible?). In addition, the main website source is static html, the API is generated by doxygen, and the tutorial is generated by docbook stylesheets. Getting all of these to generate the same general structure is probably possible, but again would require a shared html header and footer template between the two cvs modules.

So there are some issues that I’d really like to resolve, but I think it’s already a big improvement over the old site, so further improvements are on the backburner for now while I work on some actual code. If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to send them to gtkmm-list.

I’ve also updated the information on the cairomm page significantly, which was previously very sparse. It could still use some more love, but at least it shouldn’t be much of a barrier to involvement in cairomm anymore.