Another name for GSimon

The new (temp) name of GSimon is Genius. I’m still checking for legal issues related to this name, but I think is a good name for a Simon clone.

Also, I left the direct drawing on Cairo to use librsvg (which can bring up different themes for the game). I’m not a good artist, so what you think about the default theme?

genius-default-theme

Comments are very welcome. I need an icon for Genius too.

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Another name for GSimon”

1. You can render SVGs using Cairo too…

2. Itai says:

There’s already a very nice tool which is called genius:

and it actually has a gnome frontend called gnome-genius.

I think you should find a different name…

Itai.

3. MDL says:

That looks very sharp.

4. David Escott says:

There is a gnome application (math calculator) known as Genius. Don’t know whether that is important to you or not. An alternate suggestion would be to make a play on the “Simon” name your application Sarah,Samantha,Roger,Nimos,…

5. David Escott says:

The current “Genius” application can be found at http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

6. Colin Krisko says:

Looking good!

Is it playable? if so is there a download link? i wouldn’t mind killing an hour or two ;)

7. Etrunko says:

Rocks! Source code please!!!! :D

8. Og Maciel says:

Hey man! I’m dying to take a peek at the code! :) When can we have a look?

Cheers,

Og

9. That looks 1000% better.

10. Andy O'Neill says:

Hi! Did you know that there is a package in Debian/Ubuntu called ‘genius’, a cool console calculator package, and a GTK version called ‘gnome-genius.’ Just thought you might want to know before changing the name. Having the same name won’t stop you from getting packaged: Epiphany appears as ‘epiphany-browser’ due to a conflict with a game; and Git is also conflicting, listed as ‘cogito.’ It would be easier if it wasn’t conflicting though!

11. 1000% pah, dude its more like 1000000%

well done its looking wicked bruno!

12. fudje says:

Calling it genius might cause some confusion with the mathematics tool (Which, admittedly, doesn’t apper to have seen active development for a few months, but still)….

13. Sebastian Dröge says:

There already is a GNOME project called genius: http://download.gnome.org/sources/genius

14. Richard says:

I think Genius is already taken by George Lebl’s calculator (http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/genius/trunk/).

15. Can this be our new logo?

16. A. Walton says:

>>Can this be our new logo?

Shame it didn’t drop in time for April Fools ;)

Looks wonderful!

17. Juanjo says:

It’s awesome.

Very cute “default theme”!!!

18. Louise Hoffman says:

WOW! That looks amazing!

Is the svg open source? I would sure like to learn how to make such a figure :)

19. Julien Olivier says:

This looks great, except for one detail: why did you put the GNOME foot logo in the center ? I’ve got nothing against the GNOME logo, but this is Genius, not GNOME.

20. Chris Lord says:

“I’m not a good artist” – That makes me feel sad :(

Looking awesome :)

21. aklapper says:

good work in the last seven years, bruno! you may want to check out your code from svn: http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/genius/ ;-)
    (just kidding – yes, you may want to change the name again…)

andré

22. brunobol says:

Thanks for the positive comments about my artistic endowment… :)
    Definitely we need a new name. Suggestions?
    Also, I need open sounds to use on that:

From wikipedia:

“Simon’s tones, on the other hand, were designed to always be harmonic, no matter what order they were played in, and consisted of:

* A (red, upper right);
    * A (green, upper left, an octave higher than the upper right);
    * D (blue, lower right, a perfect fourth higher than the upper right);
    * G (yellow, lower left, a perfect fourth higher than the lower right).”

@Andrea: How can I render SVG’s using just and only Cairo?

23. Dominic Lachowicz says:

@Cimi, you can’t render SVGs using Cairo. You can using libsvg (also developed by Carl Worth), but that’s ancient and unmaintained.

Cairo has a SVG backend, so you can rendering things *to* SVGs if you’d like. But that’s not what Bruno wants to do.

Besides, you can use librsvg to draw SVGs using Cairo’s drawing primitives.

24. Julien Olivier says:

Why don’t you call it “Bruno” ? It would be a tribute to both the original name and to you, the author of the port.

25. This looks really great!
    How soon can you join the GNOME Art Team? :)

26. Bill O'Shea says:

Some suggestions for a name:

Memtone
    Memon (Memory and Button)
    Peter (as in repeater)
    Peat or Pete (as in repeat)
    Dover (as in do over)
    Doogan (as in do again)
    Bruno

27. menko says:

That theme looks really great :)

28. Mårten Woxberg says:

I agree with Julien Olivier: Bruno!

The SVG looks great!
    As for an icon, I’d dropp the “Genious” corner and the foot in the middle and just scale it down.

29. Alan says:

shiny!

surely the icon for this would be much the same as the game itself? (A circle divided into four coloured parts).

as for naming I’d be terribly literal and explanatory and suggest “Music Memory” or something but a better name may yet present itself.

30. christian sasso says:

Bruno, in 2004 I wrote a clone of the Simon game () and called it ‘Garfunkel’, but I never told anyone. Please, feel free to use that name if you like it.

Ciao, Christian Sasso

31. Louise Hoffman says:

> @Colin, Etrunko, Og, Louise: No source code yet… I’m rewriting the code I’ve not finished. I’ll attach the SVG here.

There is no link when I hover the mouse over the text…

Or does attach mean something else, when dealing with blogs?

32. Jeduan Cornejo says:

Where I live, the game was called Fabuloso Fred. How about calling it “Fabuloso”?

33. brunobol says:

@christian sasso
    Thanks, Chirstian!!! I think “Garfunkel” is the best name!!!

34. behdad says:

“Garfunkel” is so freaking awesome a name! Way to go!