A few weeks ago, I wrote that sound didn’t work on the new Macbook Pro. A helpful reader sent me in the remarkably simple solution: just show and unmute the “surround” channel in gnome-volume-control (and then file a bug). I also made the gnome-volume-applet use both the surround and the headphone channel, so that it works both with headphones and with speakers. This way, the device works flawlessly (I didn’t test microphone or line-in yet, but that most likely works just fine, also). I’m suspecting the surround channel should be renamed (to speakers) for this specific card type using the hda-intel chipset, and that the other surround-channels and surround-related channels (e.g. to make line-in and mic outputs and have them be used for LFE and for surround sound) should be disabled.
With Ryan Lortie‘s mention on how to setup the remote control to work using appleIR, this means all hardware and features of the device appear to work reasonably well under Linux (including wireless, suspend/resume and such).
Now back to real programming!