Today we were relocated to a bigger space and are now co-located with libreoffice developers’ hackfest.
Although not intended, the day mainly ended up landing my status-hiding branch in Polari with help from Florian. The code behind the logic became fairly complex and tangled. To make the code easier to read we expanded chatView’s convenience functions and restructured it to minimize code duplication. Now the two commits has landed in master so we can start iterating on the behavior. One of the plans is for example to be clever about status emission based on frequent or recent people that you have talked to.
There is also some polish that could be cool to land:
- Using collapse/expand arrows instead of ellipsis
- Change the color of a status header on hover to indicate its clickableness
- better visually indicate the relationship between statusheader and its status messages.
- Handle various special cases (fx the same user joining/leaving several times)
..I think some of those could definitely make good newcomer bugs. (:
Thanks to GNOME I’m attending the content apps hackfest. Today started with some introductionary some discussion on the individual applications, Documents, Books, Videos, Photos and Music. GNOME contributors also attended through hangouts and we managed to cover quite some ground in terms of what the content apps needs and their scope. We are around 13 in total sitting at Medialab, typing away on the keyboards now.
One of the bullets this hackfest is about which I am particularly interested in is how we attract more contributors to the content apps. IMO first step is to make it easy for new developers to start contributing. So I spent the afternoon revamping GNOME Documents’ wiki app page. Photos and Music are also listed as newcomer-friendly apps and would likely need a similar makeover.
For tomorrow I want to start looking into what newcomer bugs are filed against the content apps and possibly file more primarily, though.
Outside of the hackfest I have also worked a bit Polari. In the airport I sat down to revamp my status hiding branch which is almost fully working. I was also super pleased to hear that Carlos Garnacho had worked on a tracker miner for Polari’s chat logs which means we hopefully can implement some much-needed search history functionality.
Hugs to GNOME Foundation for sponsoring my trip to here!