Wikimedia takes part in Google Code-in (GCI) 2014. The contest has been running for one week and students have already resolved 35 Wikimedia tasks. You can help making that more (see below).
Some of the achievements:
- Citoid offers export in BibTeX format (and more contributions)
- Analytics’ Dashiki has a mobile-friendlier view
- Echo‘s badge label text has better readability; Echo uses the standard gear icon for preferences
- Wikidata’s Wikibase API modules use i18n for help/docs
- Two MediaWiki extensions received patches to not use deprecated i18n functions anymore
- MediaWiki displays an error when trying to create a self-redirect
- The sidebar group separator in MediaWiki’s Installer looks like in Vector
- The Wikimedia Phabricator docs have video screencasts and an updated Bug report life cycle diagram
- Huggle‘s on-wiki docs were updated; exceptions received cleanup
- Pywikibot‘s replicate_wiki supports global args; optparse was replaced by argparse
- Reasons for MediaWiki sites listed as defunct on WikiApiary were researched
- Wikimedia received logo proposals for the European Wikimedia Hackathon 2015
- …and many more.
Sounds good? Want to help? Then please spend five minutes to go through the tasks on your to-do list and identify simple ones to help more young people contribute! Got an idea for a task? Become a mentor!