Last year I did some work to make GtkSourceView use PCRE2 for syntax highlighting. The primary motivation there was to improve syntax highlighting performance by using PCRE2’s JIT capability.
However, that left us in an odd place with how
GtkSourceSearchContext works for regex-enabled search. It was using
GRegex which itself uses PCRE (1). It’s pretty clear that the goal is to completely deprecate
GRegex in GLib and it’s days are numbered. In particular, there is a lot we can’t do to control the execution environment and protect against things like stack overflows. Worsening things, PCRE doesn’t appear to be maintained these days.
So I finally got around to moving
GtkSourceSearchContext to using our very-GRegex-looking PCRE2 wrapper ImplRegex after fixing a number of bugs in it. However, it does not use the JIT because that seems a bit unnecessary for something meant to be interactive. We want latency from Regex creation to execution to be quite low.
It will be available in nightlies soon for the 5.x series. I’m hesitant to backport it to 4.x or 3.x because it’s a rather large subsystem change and I’d like to reduce chances of breaking things I can’t reasonably test. Given the relatively few GtkSourceView 5.x applications in the wild (other than my own) I feel it’s a more acceptable change there.