Started working on the python bindings for gimp 1.3. It has been a long time since I had done much with that code (a lot of the code hadn’t been changed in 3 years), and it was a bit embarassing to see how bad some of it was …

I now have it mostly working, and updated to take advantage of new Python 2.2 features (given that pygtk for gtk 2.0 uses Python 2.2, there was no point in artificially limiting what constructs to use). Now I am using new style classes for all the various gimp objects (which means that issubclass(gimp.Layer, gimp.Drawable) is now true). It is almost at a stage where it could be added to the main tarball builds of gimp.

25 August 2002

Put out new releases of pygtk and gnome-python for GTK 1.2 and 2.0. The new releases support parallel install in the same installation of Python. The new pygtk-1.99.13 release also includes the patches necessary to build out of the box on windows.

Also updated the generated pygtk documentation. This version includes the documentation for Boxed and Pointer types, adds a class synopsis at the start of each section, and a full class heirachy at the beginning. Hopefully they will be a bit more useful for people now. I also customised the xml to html stylesheets to generate a .devhelp file, which means that I can browse the documentation in DevHelp.

6 August 2002

On Sunday, the white of my right eye was almost completely red, which was a bit of a shock. I went to the doctor on Monday, who didn’t know what the problem was exactly, so prescribed some prednisolone eye drops. They seem to be working okay, and the red has retreated to just one side of the pupil, and will hopefully be gone in a day or too, which is a relief.

3 August 2002

Got the nautilus view up and running. A number of pictures of an early version are at:

In the current version, provides and requires have been split onto separate pages (and I added conflicts and obsoletes), and they are only visible if there is anything to show. There is also a changelog page for information about development of the package.

I added support for looking at info about package files on disk (as opposed to info about installed packages), which didn’t take much code.

I turned off the feature where it tries to resolve “requires” or “provides” resources (so you could see which packages provided the resources the current one requires, and what packages depend on it). I just need to add some code to follow these deps on demand …